Eating certain types of foods causes an immediate swelling under my jaw on my right side. It is really uncomfortable. Could I have some kind of infection in the salivary (submandibular) glands or some problem connected with the taste buds?

I think that it’s that salivary gland that’s to blame. Saliva is produced by four very large glands the parotid and submandibular glands, one on each side and two sublingual glands and a few thousand microscopic "minor salivary glands" that are scattered throughout the oral cavity, nasal cavity and throat. The submandibular glands are beneath your lower jaw, so your problem is due to poor flow of saliva from the right submandibular gland. This problem is usually treated either by a physician or an ear, nose and throat surgeon, so I strongly suggest that you discuss this with your physician.

Hi there,
You say certain types of food? Can you tell me more specifically what kind of food causes these reactions? Your glands can get enlarged when there is an infection in your mouth or if there is an allergy present. Do you know if you are allergic to something? There is also another possible thing that might cause this. That is salivary gland stones. This can block your salivary ducts and cause the swelling. This doesn’t happen too often but people have these problems. You will need to see a doctor to get these glands out with a procedure. It is nothing complicated but you can’t do it yourself at home.
I hope you will be better