Hi. I am 20 years old. A friend of mine said he has mandible gland disorder. What is mandibular gland? Where is it placed? What could be the cause of his problem? He said his gland is painful and swollen and his saliva is partially blocked.

Hi. Mandibular gland is a salivary gland. It is placed inside your lower jaw on either side. Mandibular gland produces most of the nocturnal saliva. It discharges saliva into your mouth under the tongue. I had the same symptoms, just like your friend. Only my saliva was completely blocked. I was diagnosed with sialolithiasis, or salivary gland stones. Inside your salivary glands tiny stones can be formed. The cause of this disorder is unknown. However, some say stones may be related to dehydration, decreased food intake, certain meds, such as psychiatric meds or blood pressure drugs.