I am on day 8 of my tonsillectomy and what hell it has been! I did allot of research online before hand to get as much info as I could. I felt I was pretty prepared (and terrified) from all I had read.
I am 33 years old and have had problems with chronic tonsilitis and cryptic tonsils so we decided it was best to get them out. The day of my surgery I was nervous! I went into the operating room at about 9am and I left the recovery room at about 11:30 am. I was admitted for observation and at about 3pm I decided I would be more comfortable at home. That was my first mistake! If they want to keep you, let them! They will make you comfortable and they will give you the IV fluids you need.
The rest of that day wasn't too bad, sore throat and tired, and even the next day wasn't too bad. I remember thinking that I had prepared for the worst and was plesantly surprised. Well, the 3rd day hit me like a ton of bricks. I was SOOOO sore, everything hurt. My tongue, my teeth my throat my ears. Every sip I took was like a knife stabbing me in the tongue. Therefor I wasn't drinking much and forget about eating. BIG MISTAKE!!! Day 5 I felt so crappy and lethargic and just not right. I went to the ER with dehydration. After a few hours of IV fluids I was sent home. It was short lived and 2 days later I landed back in the hospital, admitted for 2 days for severe dehydration. I just wasnt drinking enough. (ok, I'll come clean, I only drank when I took pain meds, I cant explain it, I knew I needed to, but physically I couldnt) It made my throat so dry and stiff and the white junk inside was so hard. It was hell. I cried and cried. In the hospital I was on IV fluids and antibiotics and I had a mask like an oxygen mask hooked up to a humudifer. I am back home from the hosptial today and its MUCH better. My throat looks 1,000 times better and isnt nearly as sore and I didnt take any pain meds today.
I must stress to anyone who has this surgery coming up, DRINK, DRINK and DRINK no matter how bad it hurts. Keeping your throat moist makes the pain hurt less. Also, chew allot of gum. I didnt do this until yesterday when I was in the hospital and it really works to move your muscles around in your mouth and it produces saliva to help keep it moist in there. I am chewing just plain bubble gum flavor. I have lost 10lbs this week from not eating and just began to eat yesterday. I'm still just eating soft things, but am feeling better. Oh, and no milk products for several days afterward..it produces too much mucus. I wish I had MADE myself drink non-stop and I think it could have avoided allot of the pain and suffering I went thru.
I was originally given liquid Roxicet for pain, but I don't do well with Percoset, so after a few days I had it switched to Vicoden and did much better with that.
I finally feel like I have turned the corner and am on my way to healing now. I dont have scabs yet. I had allot of thick thick mucus build up that is now all gone since I am well hydrated. So I do still have to go thru the scabs and them falling off. Oh, I had no bleeding after surgery at all. My breath doesnt seem bad. I had heard that people wouldnt even go in the same room with you that its that bad. I have asked friends and they say it isnt that bad at all. I do have some taste issues..things do taste differently now and I do have allot of pain in my tongue. It hurts allot to yawn. My uvula was SO swollen, but today it is back to normal size. Hmmm.. what else am I forgetting?? It was just a really horrible, horrible expierience for me and I am glad I am now starting to feel better. Just remember to get those fluids down, its the best advise I can give!!

I am sorry to hear this. Before you wrote your story, I was reading about something similar and I found so many bad experiences. But it looks like that this is something that needs to happen to everyone. Sooner or later, you will need to do this surgery, just like me. I am sorry to hear that you were in such a huge pain, I was not. I mean, I was in pain for 7 days, but that was not that long. The worst thing that happened to me was numbness in my tongue, metal taste, I couldn't eat and I had some pockets on the side of the throat. That was killing me, but as the days went by, I felt much better. 

I am scheduled for a tonsillectomy on the 27th of this month and after reading your posting I am shaking in my boots. Hope you ae feeling lots better now.

Just wanted to say that I am a 29 year old female and I had my tonsils taken out on the 19th. The first 2 days were not that bad....the third day was HELL!!!!I had a horrible headache, my loritab elixir only works for about 2 hours, it should last 4-6.My tongue looks nasty and I refuse to look into my mouth. My tongue still feels swollen and my ears are in serius pain! The worst of all is swallowing..however, drinking ice cold water is about the ONLY thing that feels halfway good. I don't even want to think about the scabs falling off!!About the only thing I have eaten is jello pudding pops...they are great!!Everyone has warned me that it takes longer for adults to recover from this!The only advice I can give is to definitely drink lots of ice cold water and head to the grocery store for some jello pudding pops!!Best of luck to anyone else who has to have this done!!

I had my tonsillectomy on 14/08/07. Gosh this was by far the worst experience of my life. I had given birth 10 months ago, and you know what, I can do that 10....even 20 more times than to have a tonsillectomy again. It was sheer hell. I'm sorry I don't mean to scare anyone who is scheduled for the experience, but I think those who have been through it know exactyly what I'm talking about. I felt ok, actually quite well immediately after the operation. Hey, I even refused sleeping tablets the night that I spent in hospital. I was sending text messages to all my buddies telling them that I had survived the operation that I was so scared to undergo and had postponed for many years. I was feeling so accomplished. I couldn't eat in hospital but I was drinking water and was on an IV, so I think the IV fluids really did help me. I was quite uninformed about the post operative effects, so I basically just went through it. All I knew and was told by others was that it was really painful. No one really went into the detail about it. I was wondering why my ENT was so nice and so darling this and that when he came to see me in the ward. Gosh the guy was feeling sorry for me as he knew what would be coming my way. To my astonishment. A few days later, all hell broke lose. I thought I was going to die. The pain was awful and my meds were finished. I couldn't cope. I went to the ER, and was seen by a hopeless doctor. He gave me Stilpane and some antibiotics.I took them and went back home. I woke up with a throat that felt as if it were on fire. My fiance didn't sleep either. He was so worried about me. I also had a terrible fever. We called my ENT immediately. He was out of the country in London at the time. He ordered me to go to the pharmacy at the hospital and to have the pharmacist call him so that he could give the script for my repeat meds. Gosh this saved me!!!!!!! I got the meds, took them when I got home and was out like a light. When I woke I felt a bit better. All I say is DRINK, DRINK, DRINK. Force yourself to. I have been unable to eat and I feel very nauseous. I've lost a lot of weight.I am a good cook and though not a big eater, I do like my food. So it is quite frustrating to have to smell good food and be able to enjoy it. So I've now decided to stop cooking at home coz I feel I'm punishing and frustrating myself further coz I'm unable to taste. NO TASTE!!!!!! IT'S AWFUL!!!!! I'm having ENSURE though, which is like a milkshake powder which you make with water, just to make sure that I have something in my tummy. The problem was that my tummy burns inside. I think it's because I have been taking all these meds and not been able to eat. Also, I gargle with half a teaspoon of salt and Bicarbonate of Soda in a glass of warm water. I think it helps prevent thrush. DOES THE TASTE RETURN????? AFTER HOW LONG???????? Also, the nausea kills a person.
You know reading you guys' stories has helped me. I was getting worried coz it's been 3 weeks since my operation and I have not been able to taste, so I went to GOOGLE tonsillectomy. I NOW understand much more about the post operative effects. Thanks a lot. I hope whoever has been through this terrible operation recovers well and soon.

I JUST HAD MY TONSILLECTOMY DONE ON 10/01/2007. I AM A 29 YR OLD FEMALE WHO WISH I COULD,VE GIVEN BIRTH AGAIN. I WENT IN AT 5AM, FOR PRE-OP BLOOD TEST, PROCEDURE STARTED AT 9:45AM CAME OUT OF SURGERY AT 10:50AM, THEY GAVE ME TOO MUCH ANESTHIA, IT TOOK THEM 30 MINS TO WAKE ME UP, I COULDNT EVEN BREATH, MY BLOOD PRESSURE WENT FROM BEING 126/88 BEFORE SURGERY TO 96/68 TRYING TO WAKE ME TO 191/108 AFTER THEY FINALLY WOKE ME UP AND WHEN THEY DID I WAS IN SO MUCH PAIN, THE GAVE ME SOMETHING IN MY I.V. THAT KNOCK ME OUT. I FINALLY LEFT THE HOSPITAL AT 6PM ( I HAD TO STAY DUE TO THE COMPLICATION). MY ENT DR. WAS SO MAD AT THE ANESTHIA DR. THAT THEY ALMOST HAD AN ALTERCATION. I COULDNT EVEN URINATE AT THE HOSPITAL WITHOUT THE NURSE POURING WATER OVER MY GENATIL AREA, THIS CAME FROM THE ANESTHIA. SO THE FIRST NIGHT WAS OK PAIN AS USUAL , SECOND DAY WAS OK BUT GETTING WORSE, BUT ON THAT THIRD DAY OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I WAS ON TYLOXX Q4-6HRS THAT ONLY WORKED FOR 2HRS, SO HE HAD ME TO TAKE THEM Q3HRS, MY TONGUE WAS SWOLLEN, I HAD POST NASAL DRIP, I COULDNT EAT ANYTHING SO ON DAY 4 I HAD TO GO AND GET A STEROID SHOT AND A PAIN SHOT( TORDOL 120MG). MY BODY FELT LIKE SOMEONE RAN OVER ME, I COULDNT EAT ANYTHING, I HAVE LOST WEIGHT, BUT I KEPT MY FLUID INTAKE UP. I WAS FOUND ON THE FLOOR BY MY HUSBAND ON DAY 6 CRYING FROM PAIN THEY CHANGED MY PAIN MEDS TO OXYCODONE THE STRONGEST YOU CAN TAKE. AT THAT POINT I WANTED TO JUST DIE!!!!!!!! ON DAY 13 I HAD A BLEED FOR 3 HOURS STRAIGHT FROM THE SITE, I VOMITTED FOR 3 HRS, I WENT TO ER, PLACED ON I.V. GIVEN PHENERGHAN AND MORPHINE.
I WENT TO THE DR ON 10/15/07 NOW IM TAKING VICODIN Q4HRS, AMOXICILLIN FOR TO PREVENT INFECTION. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT I STILL WILL PROBABLY HAVE A BLEED BECAUSE ALL THE SCAB DID NOT COME OFF. I HAVE NO TASTE STILL, AND I AM STILL HAVING COMPLICATION FORM THE ANESTHIA TRYING TO URINATE AND MY BALANCE WHICH HE SAID COULD LAST FOR A WHILE. I ADVISE ANYONE GET THEM OUT BEFORE YOU TURN 16YRS OLD, BECAUSE THE OLDER YOU GET THE WORSE YOU ARE. HE ALSO TOLD ME THAT I CANT GO BACK TO WORK UNTIL 11/05/2007 BUT IT WILL BE LIGHT DUTY. I AM GRATEFUL THAT I WANT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE SWOLLEN TONILS AND INFECTION ANYMORE, I AM TRYING TO LOOK FOR THE POISTIVE IN THE END OF THIS. TO EVERY ONE STAY BLESSED AND GOOD LUCK IF YOU ARE HAVING IT DONE. PLEASE DRINK FLUIDS, TAKE YOUR MEDS ON TIME AND DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR SOMETHING STRONGER IF IT DOESNT WORK. I AM A NURSE AND NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS I THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE IT REAL BAD LIKE THAT.

I am 20 years old and I had my tonsils removed 6 days ago. My surgery was at 8 a.m. and everything went very well and I was released from the hospital by 1 p.m. I had prepared myself for the absolute worst pain for the initial moment when they woke me up, however, to my surprise when they woke me up I had no pain at all because of the great medicine in the hospital. I was extremely happy when I awoke to no pain, I was mostly tired. I slept for the majority of the first day and the second day was not too bad either. I stayed on top of my pain medication to ensure the lowest pain possible. It was difficult for me to talk on the second day but as far as pain goes I was fine. The third day was awful. I woke up and I was not too bad yet, but as the day progressed I was getting worse. The pain in my throat and ears was horrible by the middle of the day. At this point I could not even talk. I had to write everything down to communicate with my family. My mother ended up having to call my doctor five times on this day. I had begun getting nauseous and I could not eat anything. I could not even drink anything. I got to the point where if I even thought about the taste of my medications I would gag. At 8 p.m. that night I ended up vomitting and I had a fever of 101.9 degrees. The doctor intially wanted me to go to the E.R. but ended up just calling me in a prescription to a pharmacy.
Yesterday was the 5th day after the surgery and my scabs in my throat started coming off. It is definately gross but the scabs come off and come up into my mouth and then I spit them out. Although this seems gross, this is actually a good sign because it means that the part of your throat that the scab came off from is completely healed!! The taste in my mouth is disgusting and I think that played a big part in my nauseousness.
One thing I have experienced that I did not hear from many people is horrible ear pain. The ear pain comes at night, during the day it is fine. It feels like someone is stabbing a knife into my ear drum whenever I swallow. My ENT wanted to see me the next day because of all of my problems and he told me that I MUST keep drinking and eating. I had not eaten ANYTHING for 4 days straight. It was difficult for me to swallow my own spit let alone food. However, my doctor explained to me that the key to a fast recovery is to continue drinking and eating. He said that it will be painful to swallow but after the first few bites it will get easier.
I wish anyone who will be having this surgery the best of luck. My advice is to continue drinking fluids, I know it is hard but it is also necessary. The thing that I am eating is Orzo pasta cooked for 15 minutes so that it is soft, with butter and velveeta cheese. It is very easy to eat and it fills me up. Also, try eating a fried egg, it slides right down.
Although the pain sucks after the surgery, it is well worth it in the long run. I have lost 7 pounds from this surgery so far and that is definately a plus!!

I am 36 yrs. old and I had my tonsilectomy on 7-7-08.First off I don't have a spleen,so I have no immune system.I know this will make my recovery longer.I'm on day 11 and I'm not feeling that great.I lost the big scabs a couple of days ago.Everything I've read has been accurate(soreness,yellowish junk,stabbing in the tongue,earaches,slight fever),except I have HORRIBLE BURNING in my throat if I eat anything ,even plain vanilla ice cream.I am eating only a few things(toast,cream cheese,,no salt crackers,cream of wheat w/ only sugar).I drink enough,even though it hurts.I am taking Tylenol w/ codiene(which BURNS too) every 4 hours.I finished my amoxicillin 400mg on 7-14-08.
Should I see my doctor or is this normal?

I am 16 years old and I had my adenotonsillectomy on July 28th in a Surgery Center, not a hospital. I was in an extremely good mood before I went into the surgery having heard what an "easy quick procedure" it was. I was not aware of the hellish recovery I would endure. I'm not trying to scare anyone going to have the procedure done soon (trust me, I wanted any good story I could find). After the surgery I was given liquid Tylenol with Codine, however I do not take down liquid medicine very well so at the time my father had to mix it with applesauce and ask the doctor to write a perscription for Vicodin in pill form. Day 1 was great and I was rather comfortable all day. Day 2, the pain was more uncomfortable than agonizing. Day 3, was the AGONIZING pain. I'm gonna be honest though, I know you're supposed to drink a lot of fluids but I just couldn't do it. It was such horrible pain and my parents kept pushing and pushing for me to drink but they didn't understand the burning and stabbing pain that any sort of swallowing caused). On Day 5, when I would walk I could feel my legs were extremely weak and I felt dizzy. My mother decided to take me to the ER for dehydration. Now, I had had a paritonsular abscess in June and morphine did wonders then, but not this. They hooked me up to an IV machine and put in morphine but didn't even touch the pain when I had to swallow. I was released later and ever since I have been drinking as much as possible. I'm never really thirsty but I am telling you it REALLY REALLY does help. The next hurtle was at night, starting a couple days ago, I would wake up and my throat right where my tonsils would be was on FIRE! Breathing through my noes or mouth hurt, drinking cold water would just kill, and my EARS felt like they were having the eardrum ripped from them. It was unbearable. It did it last night too, and my dad found me crying when he came to check on me. I'm now afraid to go to sleep. According to my doctor, who my dad called later in the day, I'm not supposed to feel better for another 3 days. It's encouraging to read everyone's stories about feeling better and being healed. I constantly feel hopeless. The advice I can give is to just DRINK DRINK DRINK. Drink through the pain, you WILL feel better. That was my story, however I do have a question...
Has anyone experienced more pain on one side than the other? Everytime I swallow and any pain I feel in my ears is mostly on the left side. My left side BURNS and has a PINCHING STABBING feeling when I swallow while my right side is just sore. Any thoughts?

I am also now on day 8 and my ears are KILLING me. Seriously to the point of where it feels like there are two drums behind each of them and someone is just pounding away. EVERYTHING you said was exactly right on. I can't stand this pain....i didn't know they have to scab and fall off tho....

I'm 16 and had my tonsils out on the 25th September 2008. I was really scared before the operation and repeatedly kept saying I regret saying yes to this and would rather tonsillitis. It's day 5 and to be honest the pain is not that bad. I mean there is pain but I knew there was going to be a bit. But compared to everyone else my pain doesn't seem that bad. In the mornings it seems the worse but gets better during the day. I find when I swallow if I put my hands over my ears it doesn't hurt as much.. Weird huh!? Anyway everyone keeps telling me how much I am loosing weight.. Which in a way is good seeing as I can't go to the gym at the moment. All i'm eating is... mashed mango, mashed banana, rice bubbles w/ milk, crepes, french fries, rice and butter chicken sauce. I feel pretty good but could seriously go for a burger, but think its a bit too early. From the start I think my body has not expressed as much pain because my recurring tonsillitis has been around so many times, i've had the worst year health wise - constantly sick from the poison from the tonsils in my body.. So my body hasn't expressed much pain because in a way it feels 'relieved' to have my tonsils out. Hahaha.
The medication i've been taking as well.. Panadene Forte and one really strong one seem to do nothing to me. They don't make me sleepy or really help with any pain. I'm not really bothered as the pain will go when it is ready.
Goodluck to everyone getting their tonsils done. I guess the process of recovery is different for everyone.

I am 31 and only on day four of my laser tonsillectomy (coblation) recovery and so far so good :D . However, from what I hear when the scabs come off it gets worse and I'm not looking forward to that :roll: .

My advice is to stay hydrated.
I am a big coffee drinker and I stopped drinking coffee a few days before my surgery because it's known to dehydrate you. I drank water and Gatorade.

Immediately after surgery I started with the ice chips. They're like little magic miracle workers.

I've been eating soft things- eggs, mashed potatoes, doughnuts, cake, soup with soggy crakers (my fav) :lol: , quesidillas.

The second day after my surgery, I threw up twice because i was feeling so great i tried to get up and clean the kitchen.. not a good idea. I guess the meds wanted me to rest, so I got woozy and threw up as I was trying to clean.

It will get better but you have to eat those ice chips. It helps the swelling and hydrates you.

My surgery went as follows:

I had my surgery early in the morning (7am). My husband and children wanted to be there for support. It actually calmed me and I wasn't nervous a bit.

They show you to your room and ask you to take off your clothes. They give you one of those hospital gowns to put on.. they have actually improved since the last time I was in the hospital.
The admitting nurse verifies your medical history and other information.

After meeting with the admitting nurse a guy wheeled me to the surgery room. I met the anesthesiologist who explained his role I let him know that I was real sensitive and it doesn't take much for me (didn't want to OD).
I met with the Doc briefly in case i had questions.
The anesthesiologist drugged me...
After waking up the nurse asked my pain level on a scale of 1-10- mine was around 2.. not bad at all. However I told her 6 because I wanted real pain meds not Tylenol.. I've read how people still feel the pain and I am a HUGE baby and can't take pain at all.

I drank some apple juice (only stung a tiny bit), ate ice chips, used the bathroom because they want to see that you can urinate, and was discharged.

I had my tonsillectomy on October 25, 2008 and I'm 14 to be honest I remember being really scared for it, but I had it at a surgery center and everyone was extremely nice!!! I even knew the nurse I had! (She was my friends mom.) I got anti-nausea medicine and stuff that relaxed me and then they put the i.v in and I didn't even feel it, to be honest I was scared for the i.v too. :-) They wheeled me into the O.R. and the room was kinda cool looking. After I woke up I remember that I really had to go to the bathroom, and I was just so tired...I don't remember any pain at all. The first 2 days were fine...no pain at all. Except I didn't want to eat...no desire either. The 3rd day it started to kick in but they had prescribed liquid vicodin and that helped a lot. Smooth sailing after that and then on the 6th day (when most of the scabs started to fall off) it really hit me...I don't think I ate anything that day and even the vicodin didn't seem to do enough. Today it is sooo much better. After reading childrens tonsillectomies and adult tonsillectomies I think my healing process was more like a child's healing process which I am soo thankful for. My ears hurt a lot though.

Had surgery on 12/12/08. Day 1 and 2 not bad at all.. little pain but doable.. Day 3 hits and all hell breaks loose.. I went through 20 hrs of labor and ended in C-section, THIS SURGERY AND RECOVERY IS SO MUCH WORSE!!! I was even prepared for the worst because of all I had heard and I also had the top of my throat cut (not the uvula, but around it).. Do NOT let them do anything to your sinuses (nose) because they did and i still cannot breathe out my nose, which makes for sleeping HORRIBLE.. when you have to breathe through your mouth with an already sore throat = disaster!!! I can only sleep 30-45 min at a time and wake up and the PAIN OMG. Throat is totally raw.. I have been drinking lots of water, which is a key to helping so definitely do that.. Haven't been able to eat anything at times and only pudding, oatmeal, salt on pretzels, jello.. This is Day 9 and I have lost almost 20 lbs and just today I feel like there may be an end in sight.. I thought a week tops and i would be almost normal, NOT!! Very weak from lack of food, but i've made sure to stay hydrated NO MATTER HOW BAD it is to swallow.. Yes my poor husband has found me in several crying sessions.. It is just miserable.. Thank God I will never have to go through this again!! If it turns out good, I guess 2 weeks of hell, missing Xmas dinner, and 1/2 month of work it will be worth it!! My advice to anyone, make sure you have someone to help you for at least the first 5 days/day/night, DRINK water no matter how bad the pain is, take pain meds on regular basis even if you think you don't need them, and do NOT let them do any sinus work at the same time!!! Good luck to anyone who has this done!! You will have periods of I JUST WANT TO DIE! It is hard, hard, hard, but hopefully worth it in the long run!

Well im sorry to add to the horror stories, I had mine out on the 9th of december and it was agony and severe discomfort (Im 37 yrs old) i suffered long term low grade tonsillitis and antibiotics gave me hell and piles for my efforts.......so it was op time. All was going kinda well and i was eating although with no taste sensation and back home. Pain was becoming more bearable then.....................king size bleeding, it was horrific, i lost pints of blood and was rushed in for emergency surgery vomitting stomach loads of blood as i went that i had swallowed through the jetting of blood from the base of my tongue. I had forceps with an adrenalin swab rammed down my wide awake throat then was operated on when i felt like dying. A week later and stitched up from the base of my tongue to the roof of my mouth i bled again due to a stitch coming out, it stopped quite quick and wasnt as severe.........still everything tastes like muck and in a little pain but nearly fit........horrible horrible experience i wouldnt wish on anyone other than my ex wife;)........