Hello, around April/May I woke up and had a small bump on my butt. It eventually turned into a scab. I use to pick at it to try to remove it; as it was taking along time to go away. Now 7 months later, the scab has turned into this circular, hard, raised bump. It is black, and can get sore if I pick at it. What could this be? %-)

wow, i have the SAME exact thing on my arm. it just started as a scab and after i picked at it, it just kept raising up. like the skin was growing ontop of itself. people say it looks like a wart, but becasue i know it started as a scab i beg to differ. i would get it checked out. i know i am becasue i have had it for over 8 months. a freind of mine is a nurse and said it looks like melenoma. so i am going to get it checked out and pray that it isnt skin cancer

I just wanted to add, if it's not too late to do so, that I have had a similar experience. It was on the back of my thigh and is exactly how you are both describing. I went to the doctor because it was freaking me out and she took a sample for testing and discovered that it was MRSA. I guess it is not very common but the number of people getting the infection in the U.S. has been growing over recent years. Simple antibiotics kills the infection and mine went away very soon after I started my prescription. But don't wait any longer to take care of it if this is the case because it can become serious if you acquire any other virus beings that it lowers your immune system. Do look it up online and check out some pictures... Good luck to you both!

I just wanted to say thanks to you for some answers, my father has one on his arm and every time he tries to do some house work and he bumps it on something its starts to bleed a lot, I prayed for him that night.
Then, at my church a lady came up to him and said "here take this money, go get it checked out". He is afraid to go, scared to find out that it may be skin cancer. But i will keep praying to god to give him courage, instead of just watching him stare at the money every morning, debating on going.

i just wanted to post this because there are good people out there, and if you pray god can help you find them.

Hey, I think that you may have the onset of eczema. Yea, at 21 years of age I got an itchy spot, started itching... kept itching and soon enough it was a scab. That scab was ripped off in a late night itch, another one took its place, but the spot started becoming raised off the skin as new scabs formed ontop of the tender scar tissue. This was treated with a prednisone tapper, and eventually some direct shots of 5cc prednisone. This did wonders. I still struggle with other itchy ecxema spots on my legs... and the same one on arm. If only I had some healthcare I might be able to afford the prescription cream that is supposted to really take care of it.

Ultimately---!!--- This might be excema, nearly a quarter of ecxema is discovered by people in their adult life. It just take the right trigger... poor food intake, stress, sickness, being hot and damp all day. Think about it.

I have a scab like thing on my scalp but I tried to pick it off and it wont come off, I went to MD today who said it was a "HORN" I was mortified! I asked her to explain but alll she said was when it gets bigger it will have to be removed? Anyone heard about this?

How did your scab turn out? I just read your post. I realize it was over a year ago, but I'm curious because honestly it sounds like you should definitely have seen a dermatologist about this. Scabs that don't heal are suspicious. I had one near my collar bone a few years ago and my dermatologist thought it looked weird, so he biopsied it and it turned out to be a dysplastic nevus, which often turn into melanoma if you don't have them removed. I hope you're alright. If you ever have anything weird bumps, moles, scabs, etc., just get them checked out by a dermatologist - it may be nothing, but it may be something. You kind of screw yourself if you wait too long.

smitty, your last sentence says it all; it's so true. Why people wait and wait is beyond me. I had something on my nose, waited a couple months, went to the dermato and she said it was "just" a keratosis, and burned it off. But yeah, who knows what it could've turned into. Now I have another one on my cheek and I'm going to get it checked out ASAP.

The saying "better late than sorry" does not apply here. DON'T BE LATE!!

try Mario Badescu Buffering lotion.  They sell it at Ulta, and amazon. Great stuff, has a sulphate in it that completely got  rid of  some weird itchy scabs/bumps that wouldn't go away.

Now, do you really think that was helpful, Herp?

"I just wanted to say"........to everyone please stop answering people's question with a question.  It does not help for you to ask the same questions repeatedly.  Sit down and wait for an answer and if you don't get one, create your own question or go to the doctor immediately.  There is plenty of info out there about most of these problems.

Yea I have the same thing on my forearm...started on my right side, then migrated to the left, then went away for about a month, and now is back--but worse..they start out small, but get bigger, and smaller ones (like pimples) come up around the surrounding area....I thought it was Pityriasis Rosea, thought it was herpes, then thought i was just going crazy.  Has been going on for 10 months almost... I am thinking now it is a form of eczema....any help?

did i mention it itches so bad i want to cut my arms off??

LMAO OFF @ HERP AND HEIDI! WOW!

Mekon - lol @ "'just' a keratosis"! Those can turn into squamous cell carcinoma if ignored! Glad you got it checked out. I love how your doctor played that down. I had one on my cheek to (recently) too and had it frozen off.