About 7 months ago my daughter had a severe case of impetigo. Although we were told that it doesn't usually scar, she still has flat red scars all over her body, which don't really seem to be visably fading. She is very distressed and anxious about them. Will they fade and become almost unnoticable over time? How long might the process take?
Many thanks.

Have you seen her doctor lately? Seven months sounds too long to me. It is true what doctors said about impetigo not leaving permanent scars but there is always but…..

My little sister caught impetigo two years ago and I had to go and stay at grannies. Her crusts also turned into red scars but they healed in a month or so and didn’t remain. I remember that her doctor said that impetigo doesn’t leave scars because it only infects upper skin layer. However, I know that picking the scabs constantly may cause scarring. If your daughter kept picking and scratching the bumps, it might result in scarring.

Also if the impetigo infection persisted, it could have caused scarring.

I know you said that it was severe form of impetigo but you didn’t say how severe. There is this form of impetigo called ecthyma that affects deeper layers of skin and causes ulcers and leaves scars and discoloration of the skin in the end. Have you seen her doctor since the infection disappeared? I suggest you see a dermatologist and see if there’s anything you can do about it.

I had impetigo about 5 years back. Now i have a lump on my nose which i think is a scar from it as it is in the exact same place as were impetigo occured. but, i hear that impetigo doesnt actually scar, what else could it be? could is be as i picked the scar?

I picked up impetigo when i was a very young child at the babysitters and it affected a large area of my lower back which was the location where i had it, which is not where most usually get it. I had a severe case of it and i have about 5 spots on my back that are visible scarring from it resembling a burn scar. They have not disappeared yet and it's been 21 years since the age of 3 when i had it. So there is a possibility that they may not completely disappear but at the same time it can heal with time.

RE: Daughter's Distressing Scars-

I'm a 41 yo F, got Impetigo for the first time five years ago. It was pretty severe, so I wasn't surprised that it left some scarring (thought it was ring worm for a while). The impetigo would recur every summer or when ever I get stressed, each time leaving small reddish purple scars, some of which itched at times, just a little.

The course of treatment I'm on now for the first time is Clindamycin oral, dosed for my body weight, instead of other antibiotics, and after 3 days all those reddish-purple scars started disappearing fast. I now think they were sub-clinical staph colonies, waiting to pounce when my immunity got low. I have an appointment with dermatologist, but this was pretty big after so many recurrent outbreaks.

I looked up the the protocol for treating MRSA, even though I only have regular impetigo, and asked for that treatment, as that's the most effective, and that cleared the scars right up. (uncpectedly)

Also porcelana fade cream helps me, but you have to keep using it a few months (prevents dark pigments from forming, if it is a true scar) and stay out of the sun.

The scars that are white seem for real and here to stay. Good luck with your daughter!

Hi after a Holiday in the Dominican my daughter caught impetigo, she was hospitalised for over a week and lost loads of skin. A year on her scars are almost undetectable. In time the scars will fade/vanish ensure she drinks loads of water and uses anti bacterial soaps and I am sure the blemishes will disapear. My mother always used olive oil to get rid of blemishes when I was a kid and worked well for me

use kozimax 2 times a day u will get the best results

I Believe I Had Impetigo Since I Was 6 Years Old I Am Now Turning 17. Scars Are All Over My Body From When I Had A First Break Out. After Awhile They Would Come Then From Any Little Incident Insect,Human Bites,Etc It Comes Right Back. Scars Turn Black An dPurple Around As Soon As I Get A Scar. I Go To Childrens And They Have Only Looked At My Skin Maybe About Twice As If It Doesnt Matter And Gave Me Antibiotics Which Later Gave Me Sunburns And Rashes On My Face And Body. I Do Not Wish To Have My Body Scared Any Longer. All The Skin Creams I Hear Of I Know These Horrible Black Scars Could Be Vanished. If Anyone Can Help Me Please I Really Hate Looking At Myself Like This. I Dont Really Wear Clothing Tht Shows My Legs. Arms I Have To Face It But I Want To Feel Good About Myself. Any Care Practor Knows Anything That Can Help Me P l e a s e , Reccomend It . :/

It do leave scars.....I have scars from it And I'm 30 now and I was 11yrs old at the time I had a case of it

I developed impetigo when I was ill and I picked the scabs not realising what it was. As a result I have about 3 red scars on my face. They are not going anywhere so eventually I will have to pay to get them removed.