i had a carbuncle on my face, on the nose, which left a big and ugly scar. because it is on the face everyone can see it and i get comments all the time. even going to makeup counters has become a problem with consultants immediately saying they have products to correct the scar. yes of course i want to not have that on my face. makeup does not cut it because the scar is raised too. what are my scar removal possibilities please? do i need to have surgery if i want to get rid of this or are there other things i could try.

Ooph, to be honest it sounds like you got a bad deal there and I totally get why you would wanna do something about that, you know? If you haven't tried nothing so far, you could give scar creams a go. You get those over the counter and there's also prescription ones. Whichever you choose I'd definitely consult my GP first for instructions. Then if that don't work, yeah, there's laser treatments that are pretty effective. Since you just got the one scar, it shouldn't be too pricey either, know what I mean? Imagine being rid of that scar! I'd definitely be considering that.

Celebrity

Hey,

It does sound like you have a keloid scar on your hands there... sorry, on your nose. (Sorry for the pun! Please don't take it the wrong way!) How long has it been since you have noticed scar development? The more recent it is, the more likely the odds that your scar will go away on its own. I suggest, however, that you Google the following natural treatments for scarring: Apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, calendula oil, lavender oil, and salt water. They are all more likely to help you with scar reduction if your scar is still fresh, and if it is any one of these may be enough to rid you of the scar on your nose. 

Rosie

Most carbuncles will leave some mark, whether in the form of scarring or pigment changes. Thankfully there are things you can try to rid yourself of these changes. Silicone gel, which comes in sheets, is a very popular and effective method for the treatment of scarring from carbuncles. German essential oil is something else many people turn to as well as tea tree oil. Aloe vera can be helpful in the beginning stages of the scar formation to prevent permanent damage. Should these home remedies not produce the effect you are hoping for, laser resurfacing and microdermabrasion can be options as well.

It's unlikely that any treatment for a small scar caused by a carbuncle will be covered by any health insurance policy. If I had one, I would first investigate cheaper ways to treat the scar. Because it looks like you have had the scar for a while, it seems unlikely that it will fade with time. Corticosteroids, in injected form, can offer a very successful scar treatment. You can also have the scar removed surgically, but of course, then you are talking a much bigger amount of money. The corticosteroids seem like the way to go in this case, I think, and if it does not work for you then you can always explore alternative options.

Have you looked into:

• Bleaching creams
  • Laser resurfacing
  • Microdermabrasion
  • Dermarollers
  • Collagen or fat injections
  • Chemical peels

These are some of the most popular scar treatments out there. You have to assume that, of these options, at least one option will help you get rid of your scar permanently. For some, dermarollers or chemical peels lead to truly excellent results where the scar disappears completely. Others need laser resurfacing for permanent results. Fillers are a temporary measure, so you need to repeat treatment every six months, approx. Bleaching creams will not change the structure of the scar but will reduce the amount of color contrast, which can make a huge difference.