I had a boil on my thigh that I chose to treat at home by soaking it with a wet cloth with tea tree oil a few times a day. It did drain and I am so thankful to be rid of it, but now that the skin has healed I am quite sure it will turn into a permanent scar if I don't do anything about it. It is pretty noticeable. I'd like to not have a huge scar... not good on the beach, or anywhere really. What can I use to remove the scar that was left over from this boil?

TIA!

Hiya,

If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely begin with taking large doses of Vitamin C... 250mg twice a day, in the morning and at night before you go to bed. I'm a tattoo collector myself :) and since my artist gave me that tip, to take vitamin C in the way described, yeah, I've gone to needing to heal for weeks to healing within five days. It's amazing stuff, that vitamin C!!! It encourages healing and prevents scarring. So yeah, definitely the right place to start. On top of that, mind you, there's other things you can do too. including specialized anti-scarring creams and eating foods rich in zinc. Since you said it was on your thigh, you won't need sunscreen unless you're wearing shorts, but you do need to make sure nothing rubs against your wound. Stay away from vitamin E oil by the way... though basically everyone says it's great for scars, I read someplace that it can actually make 'em worse. Which ain't what you want at all. 

Like, how big is the scar? If you're really worried, I would say to see your GP about it 'cause you may be able to get your hands on a prescription cream you'd otherwise miss out on. 

Well, scar cream is by far the least expensive option at your disposal if you want to remove the scar that was left over from your boil, and it is quite effective. Products include Mederma and Dermefface Fx7. I would first try with those for a few weeks and monitor the situation for improvement.

Should that not work, well, you do have other possibilities.

Laser treatment, chemical peels, and steroid injections are all effective anti-scar treatments that are used very successfully by many people. Your scar is fresh, however, and I am assuming that the scar creams will make a difference for you very quickly.

Best of luck.

Hi

Your options are either over the counter scar removal ointments, prescription scar removal ointments, surgery to correct the scar if it is really bad, steroids injections directly into the scar, or, if you are not sure whether the scar is permanent anyway, you can simply try keeping it hydrated and giving it time. Many minor scars go away on their own given time. Of course none of us can see what your scar looks like, but I am assuming it is minor, given that it resulted from a boil. On the other hand, you do seem pretty self conscious about it so many it is bigger than I think? Anyway, those are your options.

Laser treatment can be a very successful method to remove scars. You do need to know that some patients will require more than one session to achieve the results that they were hoping for, and also that other treatments are available, including steroids. You should consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to properly evaluate your options. In general, laser scar removal can cost as little as $250 and go up to $1500, which varies according to the area and the surgeon or dermatologist who is performing the procedure for you.

I know this is embarrassing but I used to get boils on my butt frequently. They left that part of my body looking somewhat like the moon - craters all over the place. Not having any idea what could be done about them, I went to see a dermatologist. She recommended a series of chemical peels, which I did have done, and things are now looking a lot better. This may be a good choice for you as well, or perhaps there are other things that could be better in your case. I'd say you are best off seeing a dermatologist.

Have you tried hydrocortisone cream at all? This is what my doctor prescribed to me for acne scarring several years ago. It did take a while to clear the scarring up, but my scars faded with time and I would now need a microscope to see any scarring that may possibly be left. This can be a simple and effective solution for scars left from boils as well I should imagine. Operations and lasers are not always necessary so I would not start there and wait until you see whether hydrocortisone cream can fade your scar.