Hi, I would like to ask about secular organizations for sobriety. It seems that my friend is somehow connected to the people in that organization and I can see clearly that those organizations are not that popular in all places. I would just like to learn about the a bit more to understand what they do, what are their activities etc. Perhaps then I would understand my friend a bit more.

Well, secular stands for anything that is not related to any kind of religion. For example, eating and state universities could be referred to as secular. Sobriety would be easily explained as some sort of abstinence, usually from alcohol, but it can include some other aspects of life (sex, even things like video games, TV…). And since you can exercise tour right to have your own opinion, you can like or dislike these kinds of organizations.