Hi, I am 51 years old, and I’m diagnosed with sensory neuropathy. Before, I had only a burning sensation around my toes, and now I have pain. Is there anybody else with this condition?

Hi, I have sensory neuropathy too. It already extended to both feet, and it is very difficult to deal with this condition. The discomfort is huge, and I often can’t sleep because of the burning, numbness and tingling in my feet. I also have a sensation that my feet are on fire. If I understood a doctor correctly, the pain is a protective response to tissue injury. I am using some tricyclic antidepressants for reducing pain caused by neuropathy, but there are some other drugs that can be used, like selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors, other antidepressants, carbamazepine, phenytoin, gabapentin… However, none of these medicines is as thoroughly studied as tricyclic antidepressants. I am also considering some alternative ways of reducing pain, such as acupuncture, meditation, interferential stimulation and exercises.