Hi all,
I have been reading these threads and I'm hoping to find someone with similar systoms...My Urologist looks at me like I'm crazy and my gyno is stumped...
I usually get about 2 UTI's a year, however, I have never had an active sex life until now. After about a month of sex everyday, i got a UTI. Self diagnosied, but my gyno was comfortable giving me a round of antibotics based on my previous history. After 7 days of not feeling better, I went in and gave a urine sample. I had nitrites in my urine...no blood or infection...She assumed that the nitrites were the after math of a UTI, but felt that I should have another round of anitbotics b/c I was still feeling UTI pain.
Because I still had the urinary pain and it wasn't going away, I bought some uristat at Walgreens one day...That broke me out into a rash. The 2nd round of antibotics was doing nothing and now I was itching like crazy from a yeast infection!
Got a difulican (i'm allergic to yeast medicines and 90% of antibotics, btw) That healed the yeast, but I still had a horrible pain at my urthetra hole. It could almost be described as "clitorial" pain. It feels like I have to pee really bad, (worse at night) Burns when I pee and I constantly have pain. When I sneezed a few days ago, I peed my pants (at work, of course!)
At any rate, I'm 32, no kids. I take a b/c pill (mercitt) My urologist has tried enablex, sanctura and prosed. I have also tried oxybutynin. Everything takes the "edge" off a bit, but nothing is good enough to live with. I have tested negative for all STD's and the urologist thinks I'm just having a bladder spasm. If I was, wouldn't this pain have stopped with the enablex? I have had this intense irritation/pain since May 17th. If anyone has suggestions, they will all be considered....

Thanks everyone,
aprilfoolsbaby

Have you had any success in finding a correct diagnosis for your symptoms.... what about treatment? My friend has had the identical symptoms and frustration you are experiencing. She had been repeatedly tested for UTI, STD's, etc without any luck in finding out what is causing her pain and burning. Please respond if you are better or found treatment that has helped. She too, was on several rounds of antibiotics and it did not help. She self treated for a yeast infection and that is when things seemed to get worse for her. Possible allergic reaction? Poor thing is miserable.

Your urologist should give you an antibiotic before or after each time you have sex. It's not safe to be on continuous rounds of antibiotics though. I heard a long time ago (don't know if this is practiced anywhere) that there was an experiment done in which a university came up with a vaccine aimed for women to become resistant to certain strains that cause UTIs (e. coli, staph, etc). I really think they should practice it, but not sure. After each time you have sex, use the restroom to flush anything out, or drink some cranberry juice. That should help.

If your tests are coming up negative and you have those symptoms still, I'd ask my urologist to test for other things going on; interstitial cystitis, urethral syndrome, possible urethral stricture, diverticulum, urethrovaginal fistula OR vesicovaginal fistula. If nothing, maybe your URO or GYNO could do an ultrasound to suspect maybe an ovarian cyst. That's all I can think of right now. Hope you find some light at the end of the tunnel for this. Good luck!