Hello, I’m 42, female, has 2 children, good marriage and in general, healthy life. I do not have family history of malignant diseases and tumors. Few weeks ago, I have started experiencing sharp pain in the area of breasts. That sensation lasts very short and is not associated with my cycle as I noticed. I did self exam, but felt nothing. This worries me pretty much. What do you know about causes of breast pain?

I have also started having pain in my breast in my forties. It was also sharp and noncyclic-not associated with my period. I had several exams and they found me a cyst. I had small operation; cyst was removed and-end of the story and the problem. Breast cysts are not uncommon especially in women in our age. And I guess that what scares you the most is thought about breast cancer, as I learned, it is very rarely painful. Sometimes lumps can be cancerous, but you said that you could palpitate nothing.

I read this and thought I had written it myself. Age 42, two children, no family history of cancer of any kind. Within the last few weeks, developed sharp pain in the left breast. Found no lumps now, but had a noticeable cyst removed 12 years ago. Going to get a mammogram. Hope to figure this out.

I'm fourteen years old and i've been getting these pains too. Should i see a doctor?

Take a look at this article then decide if you need to see a doctor. My gut feel would be - not.

kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/girls/sore_breasts.html

i'm 17 and have the sharp pain, more in my left breast but sometimes in my right. it doesnt last long, varying from about 1-5 seconds. i often breath in when it comes on suddenly and of course, that doesnt help. it probably doesnt make it worse either, but i just zone in on the pain. it's not a sore, heavy feeling like before my period. it comes out of the blue and surprises me.

I'm 17 and have the same problem. It's never certain when the pains will "strike again". It's in both of my breasts but never at the same time. Their both very sensitive, which I thought was related to my period but I've come to find that it just happens randomly. They last about 10 to 20 seconds making it very bothersome and uncomfortable, Should I ask my gyno to do a mammogram?

Not meant in a bad way but I did feel more comforted when I read that I was not the only one. My GP recommended I take Ibuprofen 3 times a day and if the pain persists I should go back in. She felt around for lumps but said that she could not feel anything too sinister. I still feel bad and will demand a specialist visit. I am 35 with 2 children and have always had good health and no major problems. My friend said a GP is exactly that, only a general practioner with no real specialist area - I am going to push for this one because the NHS can sometimes sit on things!