whyyy do people get white spots on there fingernails? i seem to be getting them alot now

White spots, or arcs of white at the root (hand side) of the nail?

The arc of white where the fingernail starts in your hand SHOULD be present: it is a sign of healthy amount of calcium in your body.

If they're not visible, consider your vitamin/calcium etc intake... fresh vegetables, milk (maybe), chocolate (yay, but... see below)

Google calcium in chocolate and you'll see sites and research warning against it. I was told that that was one of the principle reasons I personally ate chocolate, so who's right?

If those aren't the white spots you're referring to, CIAO and CIO - see ya, and check it out!

thhhis is what they look like

file:///Users/godalatvys/Pictures/Photo%20Booth/Photo%20on%202010-10-23%20at%2012.39.jpg

Looks like another wonderful feature of our new site. I can't make that link work.

I think they are quite common. Some people get a lot more than I do but I get them. I have no idea what causes them.

My mother had a story about them. They were like fortune tellers with each finger meaning something different and you were supposed to get it when the spot reached the end. From thumb to little finger it was: Presents, friends, foes, beaus, long journeys to go. It never worked for me but neither did wishing on a the first star I saw at night.

Hmmm wait are wwe all talking about the same thing im talking about likee whit donts on topp off ur fingernails it kinda looks like whhhen u slam uur finger against a door or a car door anndd it leaves white marks but i just get them randomly

I'm talking about white spots in the nail. Looks like a dab of white paint. Can be different shapes and sizes. Stays in the nail and moves forward with the nail as it grows out. I haven't had any recently but I used to have them quite often when I was a kid.

Yeah thats whaat i was ttalking abouut!