So the waking up gasping for air has just recently started and when it does happen i do not recall having any dreams at all, in fact i do not ever remember my dreams except on rare occasion. but when i am woken up which happens at least once a night it feels as though i forgot how to breath or something in my sleep, i feel like i am being suffocated. I have had people tell me about Sleep apnea but after reading up on it i really dont think that is my problem at all. it has gotten to the point where i am scared to sleep because im afraid i will completely stop breathing. Now i was diagnosed with ashma a couple years ago and i am a smoker of cigarettes. I was diagnosed with anxiety and borderline personality disorder but i really do not think that this is anxiety attacks. i do not currently have a doctor so i am looking for a new one but in the mean time i would really appreciate an opinion or 2 or 10 (lol) on some possible causes and maybe what i can do to help prevent these episodes. This stopping breathing thing has even happened to me once while i was awake i just started gasping for air, i felt as tho i could not breath, and i felt really sick for a short time

Hello Alex

How are you just noticed your post

are you feeling any better what  progress have you made?

did the doctor find something and if so what?

is yours similar to mind in any way

interesting to compare with others

background info, I am 5fooot 2.5 inches tall, and weight 8stone 10 lbs. age 48.
and female
had this for years, did not have it as a child.

dont get this very often though but when i do get it there is no warning when i go to bed that it is going to happen and like you, feel like i have not breathed in a long time.

when you try to breath after this, do you feel its hard to get the air in?
thats its blocked off and little space to get the air in?
do you get the same as me, next thing to happen after you have got little bits of air in is for you to start coughing, then you have all this stuff like a tap has been turned on pour down the back of your neck? this stuff is then blocking your airway and making it even more difficult to get your breath! eventually it settles down, but you could not get help at first as you cant get enough air in to move, you think you are going to die if you dont get air in and its been all blocked off.

are you the same, what exactly happens to you?

i can tell you it so clearly as it has happend loads of times over teh years now, but only about 4 times or so a year.

how often do you get it?
how manys years has it happened for?
have you been to the doctors or dont want to go?

another thing i find and this is a seperate issue, is when i have a bath, like baths, i do like the water hot and lie in it, i generally put a bit more cold in before long as too hot, but when i get out, my heart is racing, out of breath, feel weak, but this always happens to me again for years and years, if in the house, have towel on still and have a lie down or sit down. if i put my hand on my chest my heart is beating very strong and very fast. presume due to the water being hot, dont really know. but this always happens to me.

the only tablets i take is thyroxine, taken that for about 9 years and also allergy tablets, tend to take 180mg of telfast, but sometimes change them as dont want them to get used to me, but all common allergy tablets, i get these on prescription so doctor aware of them. as have uticaria and chronic rhinitis, or at least they say i do. dont take the nasal spray but sometimes taket his in the summer with the hayfever season.

its nice to chat to you, hope you are not too bad.                   

i get this alot now

I would like to share with everyone that the last time I felt like this I thought that I was going to die and was rushed off to emergency with a ambulance and after many checks they diagnosed that the problem came from my heart, apparently my heart is damaged, scarred and not pumping well and this causes my lungs to work irregularly, my heart beats are also irregular and I am living a terrible existence with about 15 tabs every day, I have to inject my stomach every day although they want to give me Sintrom but I don´t want to take it, there is something else which may be better in the market but because it is expensive they are doubting to give it to me, I have asked if there is a operation or something that can be done and am told that I will have to live the rest of my life like this and I am only 54 years old, the rest of my life I have no idea how much that will be under these circumstances.

To make matters worse, I am allergic to some or other medicine but am afraid that if they stop it or change it I may again experience being out of oxygen.

hi,i too am a smoker,im 45 yrs old,iv been waking up not breathing,just like you,it scares the hell out of me,also my heart is racing,so i went to my doctor ,im going to see a therapist soon,but i was told by 2 doctors that it sounds like anxiety attacks,that happens to both of my sisters and there taking meds for anxiety orders also ,hope this helped,at least a lil bit :)

Hey just found what you have said to be interesting. I have something similar well i think. I have died in my dreams many occasions only to wake up as normal not gasping for air though. I have just gotten used to it at this point cause its regular but would love some kinda answers.