I am a casual swimmer. I am not bad at it but have no desire to become a pro or something like that. However I enjoy swimming and am a regular at the pools and beaches during the summer. Some friends wear shorts but I like traditional Speedo. What do you think? Which is better, shorts or traditional Speedos?

It depends on your preferences. Some people prefer shorts while others can’t imagine wearing anything else than Speedo. Although it may not look that way, I find shorts less convenient and comfortable than traditional Speedo. It has been designed specifically for swimmers and has been tested countless times and proved to be of top quality. Of course my brother likes shorts best and wouldn’t even consider wearing Speedo. I suggest you try both of them and see which one suit you best.

I like shorts when I'm at the beach just for fun, but if I'm at the pool and swimming seriously I prefer Speedo.

Just imagine Michael Phelps in shorts on Olymipcs. If you can visualize that, then you have an answer. :D
If you're swimming as a pro, then there's no way to wear anything else than speedo. Otherwise, you'll be much slower or what can be much worse - you can lose your swimwear on the way to the finish. :)
But, if you're just casual swimmer, then shorts are ok.