This is probably a very hasty question, but I’ very curious about the improvements I can expect after the first year of swimming. I must admit that for the time being I’m pretty sluggish and that makes me frustrated. But, I really hope that this time next year I’ll be swimming much better. I mean, I don’t expect to compete or something like that. What are your experiences?

What can I say, but it all depends on your motivation and desire. You can become a great swimmer if you’re willing to exercise and be persistent. A great deal of sacrificing is also necessary, because if you want to improve your style and speed, you have to spend much time both in the pool and in a gym, working out. Forget about going out and wild parties. Don’t expect too much all of a sudden. When I started straining swimming I was a lousy swimmer and I almost drowned couple of times. But after that it was better and better. I can’t say that I’m Michael Phelps now, but I’m trying very hard to reach certain standards.  And yes, my shoulders broadened during the first year.