Hey guys,

I've recently heard about this type of angina called Prinzmetal's angina and I actually knew nothing about it. I've found out a few things about it so far but it doesn't seem a lot different than other types of angina to me.

Anyway, I was hoping that some of you might know what are signs and symptoms of Prinzmetal's angina. I know a lot about other angina types so I'd like to know signs and symptoms of this angina type to compare them to the ones that I already know about. I hope that some of you are going to tell me more regarding this matter.

Hey Adria,

Well, all angina types are more or less similar to each other, they all have at least one thing in common and that is chest pain.

Symptom of Prinzmetal's angina is pain located under the chest bone, this pain is often described like squeezing, constricting, tightness, pressure, or crushing, which is usually severe and may radiate to the neck, jaw, shoulder, or arm, this pain often occurs when resting, it may occur at the same time each day, usually between midnight and 8:00 AM, it lasts for about 5 to 30 minutes, it is relieved by nitroglycerin and it can cause fainting or loss of consciousness. 

Hey Adria,

I'll agree with Stradivarius, all angina types are a lot similar to each other and they differ only in one or two things generally.

I believe that Stradivarius wrote all that you need to know when it comes to symptoms of Prinzmetal's angina. Like you already know, all of the symptoms are connected to the chest pain so there isn't much to tell about it. It is usually treated with medications like any other angina type, drugs such as calcium antagonists and nitrates are the mainstays of treatment. This condition isn't life threatening but it can be really bothersome.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies, Stradivarius and Health n joy, I appreciate that you took your time to give me this info.

I understand that types of angina are a lot similar to each other but since there are all these types of angina, they have to be different about something and I'd like to know these differences. A friend of mine, actually, two friends of mine have different angina types and since I found out about this, I was very curious about learning more about angina. If any of you know more info about Prinzmetal's angina, I would appreciate it if you would share it with me.

Hey guys,

There isn't really much more to be said about Prinzmetal's angina's signs and symptoms, Adria. Chest pain is the most common symptom of all angina types. Not just the most common symptom, I believe that it is the only symptom that is occurring when it comes to Prinzmetal's angina or any other angina. The only thing in which this symptom differs from symptoms of other angina type, from other chest pain is only in the way you feel it, where you feel it, for how long do you feel it and how strong it is. There are no other symptoms regarding this matter.

Hi everyone. Like you already know, there are so many symptoms. For example, the pain that you can feel or the discomfort as well are associated with this disease and some other types of angina a swell. Usually, you can feel something that is tight, gripping or squeezing your chest, and can vary from easy to shard. Usually, you are going to feel this in the center of your chest, but you need to be aware that this feeling can also spread to either or both of your shoulders, your back, neck, jaw or arm. Also, you can feel some discomfort in your chest as well.

Hi everyone. Symptoms for this angina can be different for every person. Symptoms can vary, from unnoticed episodes to severe prolonged angina. If this happens, it usually lasts between 5 minutes to half an hour. A lot of episodes of this disease can occur between midnight and early in the morning. Any of those episodes can result in myocardial ischemia, some other life – threatening arrhythmias and even the sudden death. But generally all types of angina are pretty much the same. I know two people with same angina and with totally different symptoms. What type of angina you have only your doctor can tell you. 

Hi.  Patients with Prinzmetal's Angina presenting with active symptoms of ischemia. This problem very often require admission. I remember that my doctor once told me that initial evaluation should include 12 - lead ECG and that patient needs to be carefully monitored, and serial cardiac enzyme and troponin measurements. Some symptoms that you can have while you are dealing with this angina can cause stress and you also should be tested with myocardial perfusion imaging or even coronary angiography.

All other signs and symptoms are the same when you have some other angina as well. There no are difference between it.

Hi there. Well…Symptoms typically occur while you are resting, rather than on exertion. They usually happen during the night. The statistic says that two - thirds of patients have those symptoms, but they are not aware that they are dealing with angina as well.  Remember that prinzmetal's should be suspected by a cardiologist when the pain occurs at rest and in that case, sometimes you doctor can recommend a treadmill stress test, because Prinzmetal's is exercise tolerant and can generally only be diagnosed after other forms of cardiac disease have been ruled out.  So, sometimes patients don’t feel any kind of symptoms.