Good day everyone.

My mom called me today. We were talking about our cats. She mentioned me that her cat is really strange lately. Anyway, her cat has 7 years and now she started to be a little bit strange.

She was goggling about this and she told me that she found out that this can be an arthritis. She told me some signs and some symptoms, but I don’t want to tell you about them now. I really want you to tell me what are signs and symptoms of arthritis in older cats?

I want to help her :/

Hey there.
Well I believe that you should tell us some signs and symptoms that she mentioned you. It would be much easier to help you in this. But, OK. We will try to help you. At least, I will try to help you as much as I can. For example, some older cats can become less active. If you notice that your cat is sleeping more than normal than this can be a signs as well. If you notice that your cat is not that comfortable anymore and that she can’t find a place to rest, this is an alarm as well.

Hey there.
I don’t know a lot about this to be honest. I just decide to join this topic to see is there really a difference when younger and older cats has arthritis? Are signs and symptoms really different? I am asking this because my friend called me yesterday and she told me that her cat is sleeping more often than she did before. She told me that she is not concerned at all because she believes that this is the result because her cat is getting older.
Now I am reading those symptoms and I am worried.
Is there difference between the symptoms?

Hi Carla,

Arthritis usually occurs in older cats and I'm sorry to say, but there isn't much that you can do to help her cat.

One sign of this would be limping. You may see her pet limping or favoring one or more of her legs, depending on which legs and which joints are arthritic. Her cat might become reluctant to do things that she used to do with ease. It will probably cause her cat to stop jumping and she will have a hard time climbing or going down the stairs.

Arthritis can never be healed and is usually treated with only pain killers.

Hey Carla,

Mima is right, those are some of the symptoms that you can easily notice if your cat has arthritis. One of the other symptoms would be a spinal issue. Her cat might have a sore neck, an abnormal posture with a “hunch” in the back, or lameness of one or both hind legs.

Her cat will always seem tired. She won't walk a lot as she used to, she will prefer to just stay in one place. Her cat will probably become irritable. She might bite you if you try to touch her, especially if your move is increasing her pain.

Hello. Look Carla, this is very common in cats especially when they are older. You can try healing a cat from it but you can't treat it successfully. And one more things – cats are very good at hiding signs of arthritis. Signs usually are there but you can’t notice them sometimes. Signs are: reduced mobility, cat doesn’t want to climb or jump anymore, she is grumpy, she has no tolerance with people and other pets, she doesn’t want to play anymore, and her joints are swollen and enlarged. She can be cold as well. It is very ugly and hard disease.

Hey Carla,

What Dog Whisperer wanted to tell is that you can't heal arthritis but you can treat it, meaning that you can make your dog feel less pain at least.

I'm just going to repeat what everyone else told you about this, because I think that they wrote everything that you need to know.

Even though some cats will try to cover this up, it won't be so hard to notice that a cat with arthritis is in pain. You might see it on her face, or you can just pay attention to her behavior. She will no longer run, jump, or walk upstairs. 

Hey guys,

I had a cat with arthritis when I was a kid. I remember it well, I mean, I was just cuddling with that cat, my dad was the one who was actually taking care of her.

I remember how my dad told me that she has arthritis and that I need to cuddle with her less or be very gentle while doing it. I guess the cat was in big pain because very soon, she started to scratch me if I would cuddle her. My dad used to buy her pain killers but she never acted the same as before. She stopped running, jumping, she even stopped walking in the end.