I became deaf in my left ear on thanksgiving day the year 2004. Prior to that, I have'nt been sick or anything of that sort. Woke-up, got in the shower and as I was drying off I felt a suction sound in my ear. I thought maybe I had water in my ears. I waited a few days and saw a doctor. Prescribed some nasal decongestant meds. No success. After the 6th day I saw a ear, throat and nose specialist. He prescribed some predisone for 7 days. Among running some other test (hearing exam). An MRI and brain scan came out showing no defects or anything of that matter. Three years later my hearing never came back(SSD-single sided deafness) in my left ear. Doctor's conclusion a viral infection that attacked the nerve. Anyone with information or similar happenings please reply. Thank You.

I have had SSD single side deafness since as long as I can remember.First became aware of it at about 6 years old,I am now 61.I have no idea how it came about ,theories include early bout of tonsilitis at 6 weeks of age,mumps,and autoimmune ear defeceincy.A few years ago I had what might have been a viral ear infection and went deaf in the good ear.Panic set in and went to an ENT doc .He injected the ear with dexamethasone and I found improvement within 24 hours and complete recovery in about 4 days.I was prescribed Prednisone and this made no difference.The condition came back a couple months later when I was under stress,had contacted a severe cold,I guess it was the perfect storm .Had another injection but it didnt take this time.You can imagine my panic then 2 weeks of complete deafness with the thought of permanent deafness.Well ,the second shot worked and I regained my usual half of normal hearing.I have since seen a doctor about a BAHA ,but dont quite seem to be ready for that.I have all the down side effects of SSD ,cant handle social situations well,no directional hearing,and background noise kills my ability to hear well.Lucky for me I am in a self employed situation and do activities without a lot of background noise,like golf,hunting ,skiing,where I deal with people one on one.An injection like I had might help you but dont count on it unless you know you had a viral infection.Good luck to you and maybe in my next life I will have two ears to hear out of.DWS

Hello DWS! Its been 4yrs now since my second ear went bad! Same thing all over again but this time it wasn't a total deafness because I could hear just a tad bit but now I am wearing a hearing aid that helps a little but still not the same as normal hearing. I am constantly asking others to repeat themselves but that gets old also! Like yourself my next step would be cochlear implant ! Maybe would just try one ear first then the other if its a success! Please keep in touch! My Keep in touch!