I have been experiencing some scary symptoms for several weeks now. I've seen two different doctors, the first one twice a week apart. The first gave me ativan for managing anxiety, which i've used up. The second has gone along with that original diagnosis and also said that my symptoms could be from allergies, recommending claritin in the morning and zantac and benadryl at night to deal with my sleeping disturbances. In addition, if these didn't work, he gave me lexapro to deal with anxiety.

On to the symptoms:

it all started with a feeling of dizziness, almost lightheadedness. It wasn't the kind of dizziness that would make me fall; it was maybe more like disorientation.

Anyway, it has progressed. This original symptoms continued when I tried to sleep. When I laid down, it felt like I was falling backwards. I would have a hard time falling asleep and then would wake up several times in the night, sometimes panicked. Also, sometimes as I was falling asleep, I would jerk and wake myself up; I would also be scared because this seemed like something that shouldn't happen. It would take me a long time to get back to sleep when I woke up in the middle of the night.

New symptoms include feeling drowsy during the day, like the feeling one gets when just waking up except for a long time. This was sometimes accompanied by some big amounts of yawning. Also, this drowsiness combined with/caused a kind of brain fog, a feeling of detachment from everything around me that made it hard to focus. I would also describe this as feeling kind of dazed; there's very little cognitive loss. I can still do pretty much everything I ever did, and I took my college finals while feeling like this and got a 3.7 gpa for the semester.

Sometimes it feels like there's pressure in my sinuses, sometimes in the top of my head; sometimes the pressure is on the left or right side of my head, sort of a headache.

Could this be allergies? What can I do to fix it? As I said, the doctor thinks it's allergies combined with anxiety, but the claritin doesn't seem to be fixing the physical symptoms. Now what?

Probably an ear infection.

I have been going through the same exact thing. However, I get so bad at times that I don't know where I am or what I am doing. I went to an ENT and was told that I had a viral infection at one point that did damage to my ears. He also said that I had a sinus issue that could be resolved using a cleansing liquid (like a neti pot). I was instructed to do Cawthornes Head Exercises to help with the dizzy spells and go to a neurologist for the headaches. After going to the neurologist, it was determined that I have severe anxiety and my serotonin levels are too low. I am on Lexapro and Ambian to help with this and will be going to physical therapy once everything is under control. (I'm meeting with antother ENT this week for a different opinion on the ear thing) Hopefully I'll get some answers!

I have been dignosed with BPPV. Lightheadedness, dizzy spells, tired from not sleeping well due to dizzyness, and I have some anxiety because of the fear of what's going on. BPPV is ot dangerous, but can be challengeing and confusing. See if this might be your problem too.

This sounds like Labyrinthitis, I’ve had it (2008) took me about 6 months to shake it (3 months before i was me again).

That’s an infection that attacks the inner ear, it plays around with the signals from the ear (balance first) however the nerve to your forehead is located there as well do you get an "odd" not quiet me feel when you touch your forehead. It shows up like a cold but sends your ears glued up in seconds, mine was from repeated food that shut up the back of my throat when that "cold / sick" bug was going around late 2007 / 2008.

Its a virus so antibacterial don’t work, I am in the UK, but a USA doc told me to stop eating and drinking all stuff that wasn’t healthy (at the time i only drunk water) so i eat a REAL orange every few days (half each day) and an apple each day. It all slowly got better.

The "shake" when drop to sleep is VERY normal, almost everyone has it, they just never know, however i have just started the same problem you have again (see reason below).

You might want to check for food allergies and intolerances, i have found since I had Labyrinthitis its altered my allergies and intolerances, a food allergy will put your immune system on high alert, you get palpitations in your lower chest (digestive area) as its trying to fight a non existing problem (the food you just eat) so then has a go at your digestive track, this WILL stop you sleeping AND wake you up as well like you have suggested and as food changes your mood, as you guessed can make you just feel "odd" all the time if you have an immune system attacking your digestive system...

The "you but not you" or "foggy feeling" i had, then about 3 months after i started the oranges the "old" me banged right in to the "current" me and that all vanished, i was watching TV programs, known i see them but they didnt seem familiar.

The sleeping thing was first put me up to a problem, i was awake about 2 days working so hard and it not feel right (with the ears blocked up that i thought was a cold), this couldn’t be right, it was explained with Labyrinthitis as it has a go at the nerves in the ears the brain starts to distrusts them, and keeps working, instead of letting you relax at night and sleep, both ears are seeing odd signals you stay awake for no reason and your brain is woring 100% trying to work it all out. This is why when you sleep your brain shuts down, but yours is getting wacky signals from each ear making you feel "dizzy" but not unstable.

With that in mind "doze" more so you get the sleep you need when you can.

The main thing i think is make sure what your eating really isn’t intolorant to you (more stress) and doesn’t kick an allergy reaction off (puts your immune system on high alert), you need it to be fighting your head problem not food.

You may need to cut out food you always used to eat (i used to eat loads of chocolate, I have had to cut it out totally now).

With this in mind it will clear up for you :-)

Many Thanks
Ashley -

do not listen to the doctors, get an MRI if possible, best advice, be a b***h, take control of your health, i was told i had a tenision headache," run hot water on it", till they found out it was a brain tumor! stupid them and me, cause i knew something was wrong and different!

Dear Guest,

I have had alot of the symptoms of the above people. I was wondering how old you were and what was the out come of your tumor?? Please help

Seems like there are a range of causes for similar symptoms. If you've got sinus problems, one of the advanced stages of this is for the bacteria to travel to the optic nerve and brain. This affects concentration, eye sight, produces a 'not quite there' feeling, nausea, dizziness, and constant headaches.

A CT, CAT, or MRI scan will help allay your fears of tumors; I'm glad I got them sorted out.

If your sinus problems are allergy related, you may need to tackle this cause of your problems before going onto the other symptoms. If you clear our your sinuses and the bacteria, you may have a repeat occurrence when/if your allergies flair up again.

Sounds like you have anxiety. I've dealt with this for a long time, normally affects me very little. Sometimes, however, it can paralyze my life for six months to a year at a time. It got me bad one summer in high school, and then again my senior year of undergrad. Both times I was slightly depressed and didn't have a lot to do. Every pain, every time i felt tired, everything lead to a life-threatening tumor or MS or something. I used to feel nauseated and "cloudy" all the time. Your doctor sounds like he could be onto it if the only thing he gives you is anxiety medicine. My brother was just diagnosed with a brain tumor last week, and when something horrible like that really does happen, there isn't anxiety. It's just "let's do what's next and take care of this."

About 8 years ago shortly before I turned 19 I started having similar symptoms, accompanied with frequent digestive issues, fatigue, depression and muscle stiffness/soreness. I also developed bad acne, which was really frustrating as I had gone through all of high school with hardly any pimples. It took about 4 years of this for me to realize that all of this was occurring after I was eating certain foods. Gradually I began cutting certain items out of my diet. As a way of allergy testing myself I would then try out the suspected item alone on an empty stomach. If I soon developed itchiness, slight tongue swelling, sinus inflammation, nausea, diarrea, dizziness, fatigue/drowsiness, mental fogginess, anxiety/panic and the beginnings of a zit (or two or three) - I figured I was allergic to it. Because it was turning out that I was allergic to a lot of common foods, a lot of my friends seriously thought I was being a hypochondriac. I was allergic to so many things that I couldn't avoid most of them and just had to deal with it.

When I got to where I had the money to spend on it, I scheduled an allergy test. The doctor even thought I was being a little too OCD with it because I told him all the things I thought I was allergic to. When the test results came back he was surprised to see that I was right about all of them, and there were more that I didn't know about. A person can literally be allergic to anything, ANY THING! And reactions can manifest as just about anything. I was even allergic to vitamin C and salt. A person can even be allergic to natural chemicals in his own body, such as dopamine.

I used this particular allergists treatment for about a year, but had to quit because it was too expensive. It involved the use of dropping milliliters of a personalized liquid mixture containing your allergens under your tongue a few times a day as a way of building resistance. There was a chance that it wouldn't work, but it was going to take at least 3 years for it to start showing real results and up to 5 to complete.

About a year and a half ago I saw an advertisement for a local chiropractor/natural health specialist that used a cold laser treatment program called the BAX 3000 (I know it sounds like cheap science fiction) to recondition the nervous system. It's a lot cheaper and takes way less time than any other allergy treatment I've heard of. So I tried that along with some natural internal cleansing to get my digestive system functioning properly, and it changed my quality of life amazingly! Not every allergy was completely reconditioned (peanuts for example), but everything was at least improved. I can now go out to eat again, and enjoy a few beers (or a few more)! I have more energy; I don't have frequent anxiety attacks; I don't have daily indigestion, nausea, diarrea, headaches, muscle pains, insomnia, and restless legs, and my skin looks the best it has since I was 15. The skin improvement really may be my favorite part. It proved to everyone that thought it was all in my head that I knew what I was talking about, and it feels so good to be 26 and finally have nice skin again.

All that to say that I think in this modern age with all the synthetic chemicals and pollutants floating around in our food, water and air, a lot of people have developed allergies that they are unaware of. Remember it took me 4 years of suffering before I realized that I was having allergic reactions. It took a couple more for me to figure the bulk of them out. Hope this helps some of you on here. God knows I wish I had discovered these things sooner, but I'm incredibly thankful that I have what I do now.

I just wanted to comment that I experienced similar symptoms about seven years ago after moving to a new home. The dizzy but not so you fall over, disoriented symptoms, fogginess, along with throat and sinus problems (it often felt to me like I was breathing in air tainted with acid). I now firmly believe it was an allergy to mold (and possibly other things). This house had a wooden floor in the basement and under the wood a few feet or more (the house was on a slope), was just dirt. An air intake from the furnace was sucking in air directly above a large hole in the wood floor. We covered this intake and took a few other measures and my symptoms improved a lot.

A lot of the symptoms occur due to many aspects of not having the proper environment INSIDE the body and can continue to carry toxins we absorb and ingest from unhealthy foods and breathing in toxic chemicals and pollution.  One of the things to note is that doctors are trained to disperse medicine based on the symptoms.  For example, cancer is a symptom of underlying issues that have caused our bodies havoc for a long time (and we have decided to take for granted).  Thus allowing cancer to form in the unhealthy environment.  One person wrote that they did an internal cleansing and that helped immensely.  That is exactly the remedy - thus stopping the intake of unhealthy food, cleansing, then slowly incorporating foods back in, and of course, hopefully avoiding future outbreaks once more by eliminating the toxicity.  Look up "Acid and Alkaline environments in our internal body".  Also, look up information on parasites in our body, as well as Candida.  Candida is a fungus that grows internally and if not treated is what actually causes cancer to form.  So, in essence, get the internal body flora back to healthy by incorporating 3-4 Internal cleanses per year.  (Yes, do it.  Most people take better care of their car - oil change, flush, etc. and not realize our body needs exactly that too!)  This in the form of Liver Cleanses, Colon cleanse, Parasite cleanse (Gross, but so true), and look up others that would have you continue to look after the body, as that is your temple.  Your Health is your Wealth!!

There are so many things that all add up to issues we deal with now.  But also realize that by doing just the simple cleanses and changes to your health intake will have you add years to your life.

Say no to medicine and look into Essential oils for therapy.  These are your highest frequency healers.  Yes, believe in pure medicine from Mother Earth.  Think about it...Pharmaceuticals take from nature and then try to copy the healing quality/medicine in synthetic forms and sell them back to you!  Look it up - White willow bark is your aspirin, amongst others.

One final note - my Aunt who worked as a nurse for 25 years before switching to being a Naturopathic Doctor has always advocated that diseases started in the colon, the garbage disposal unit of our body.  Every sick person that came into the hospital was given a colon cleaning before the doctor would get tests done.  The colon told the whole story about what is ailing the person.  Hydrotherapy is another name for it.  Get it done, Another name is Enema.  you can easily get an enema bag from your drug store and administer this on a regular basis from the comfort of your own home.  you can look up simple "how to" videos on YouTube.  If you have questions, you can ask me more at elainetravelgirl (at) gmail (dot) com.  I'm no doctor, but a huge advocate and fan and self-researcher of natural therapies and cleansing, Health & Wellness.  If I can't help you, I can direct you further on information for your research.  I love Health & Wellness, living life to it's fullest and sharing with others.

also, Galvanic Ion technology, electric therapy, energy healing, essential oil healing, Cleansing, RF frequency machines, Anti-aging to the source for the internal and external body (the absolute latest technology for 2012/2013).  Yay!  Love it.  Chat soon!  NuSkin Galvanic spa rocks the world.  Safe electrical currents to cleanse and purify deeper layers of the skin so your good skincare can penetrate deeper. (use only the best products after this, as it really gets to the source of skin.  Hence use NuSkin products too No, you don't have to buy from me.  But our top scientist will be on the Discovery Channel this month talking about the world's first for reversing age!!  Internally and externally.  Beauty & Health all in one.

It's been now over five years you posted that you didn't know what you Everest experiencing. How are you today? Have you found out what you had?

I'm an artist with anxiety/panic issues. I haven't been taking my medicine. Instead I do mediations & practice slow breathing & focus on easy patterns or a solid color. (Bad fashion, causes bad panic attacks.) I personally am thinking about getting a MRI of my head/skull. To stop some of my concerns/worries. I have headaches and lately dizzy spells as if the room is spinning fast and faster and I feel like I'm going to faint or black out. (I'm not the fainting type.) I send you love. I ask "Great Spirit" to help you.. "Love & Light"

Wow, this is crazy. i was looking up if it was normal to feel dizzy and disoriented while being in the allergy season and I came across this post. I have almost all of the exact same things that happen to me in my life which i went through a million doctors trying to figure out what was wrong over a 3-4 year period. Here, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy about a year ago and have been on medication without anymore seizures! Please look into seizures as being your problem if your haven't already done so. Good luck!