Hi, I have a friend who refuses to come over to my house because I have a canary. She says that she has bird allergy and that she can't be anywhere near them because her reactions are severe. I have never heard that a person can have a bird allergy. Does a condition like this really exist, or is my friend making it up as an excuse not to visit me?

Hi, bird allergy is a real condition. People develop this illness very early in life, usually by the time they are four years old. When it comes to bird allergies, feathers are the most common cause, but bird urine and droppings can also cause these reactions. I am sure that you have heard of people who cannot sleep on feathered pillows because they are allergic to feathers. The truth is that they are actually allergic to birds. The bird allergens are very potent and even very small, you might say microscopic, amounts of allergens are sufficient to produce allergic reactions. And severe reactions might even cause a person to suffocate. So you shouldn't doubt your friend. If she says that she has a bird allergy than that is probably true. You can still hang out in her house.

hi ive been told ive got bird allergies by my doctor .it causes me respitory breathing problems .i keep birds of prey ,harris hawks south american breed and goss hawks british breed .i had the same condition aproximatly tree and years ago .i was described prednisolone steroids which cleared it up .but now it has come back again ,i have been described the same tablets again .these birds are more than just an obey to me .my doctore is not certain it is the birds but hes trying to eliminate all posible causes .hes advised me to get ridee of my birds.my birds are kept in open averies .could you help as i can not stay on these tablets long term ,getting ride of my birds is a hard decision to make .any advise would be greatfull .many thanks.from paul chesterman :cry: