I'm 17 years old, and I have been experiencing sleepiness since the 9th grade. I usually get 6-8hrs of sleep a night, but it doesn't seem to matter how much sleep I am getting. This occurs nearly everyday at school. I don't have trouble waking up in the morning, and I feel good before school. But when im sitting in a desk and the teacher is giving a lecture or if we are doing classwork, my eyes start to get heavy, and I constantly "head bob", where I lapse in and out over and over. Eventually I tend to fall asleep, usually with my head bowed down or with my back bent towards my desk. I try very hard to fight it, but I can never win. This happens during my first classes, but only in my afternoon classes it happens frequently. Today I fell asleep in both of my last two classes. My teachers find me disrespectful, and I feel that I am missing alot of things because of this. I can't let this happen anymore during school.

In the afternoon, usually from 2-5, when I am usually scheduled for work, I feel very drowsy. I experience the same "head bobs" and lapses. They are very short, but I find it extremely dangerous to drive like this. I swerve, sometimes jerking the wheel when I wake up, and no matter how I sit or how loud the music is, or how much wind is blowing in my face, it still happens. I fear for my life.

None of this occured during the summer when I would sleep later.
I barely drink caffeine, although I think I eat to much sugar.

How do I deal with this? Do I need a prescription or a different diet or what? This is really horrible. Please help.

Hi, it can be due to several reasons. The common causes are lack of good sleep at night, anaemia, thyroidism, food allergies and so on. You need to consider some more symptoms to narrow down the cause of your problem.

It can be also be caused due to Parasitic infections such as Tapeworm infection, that can lead to condition called nuerocysteriosis, which progresses at steady rate, depending on the intensity of infection in your body.

The best things you can do to conquer any of the both causes above are cutting off (or decreased to very low level) the intake of sugars, and drinking plenty of water for instance atleast 6 litres a day.