Ok, so this is a relatively common phenomenon, though something I have had difficulties with for years, getting up on time, waking up on time to go to work! on friday I overslept by 2hrs, the previous day 1 hour. Granted, I was on the internet till late at night, but I find in the evening sometimes I'm raring to go, still staying up when I know it's getting late. Usually if I go to bed before 12, I'm ok, but after that time I struggle, then sometimes for no reason in particular, I don't wake up at all, till after I'm due at work.

One could say this is laziness, uninterest in work (though this isn't the case anymore), with so many alarms, clocks, you'd think I'd be ok...maybe I'm one of these people that do things more slowly, and think a great deal as I am partaking in alot of activities, I remember bits of dreams quite alot.

The long and short of it is, do you think that a vitamin suppliment may help? are there particular vitamins which will REALLY help in getting up on time in the morning.

This has been an issue for years, even in my last job, oversleeping by hours on Christmas eve! on the day I was at working. I live on my own, therefore no one in person available to wake me up...then the more I think about it psychologically, I get MORE scared that I won't wake up on time, which somehow makes it harder to get up in the morning.

A few suggestions would help, this is 'not' a urgent post, but it would help to have a little guidance, may be considering asking friends to give me wake up calls, so that I don't get in trouble with my work. I think though a reply may help some others, also would be nice to hear from people who have similar related issues, bearing in mind, this doesn't refer to any kind of mental or physical disorder (in my case) all the best all :-)

Geez, not a mental disorder - guess mine might not be either then. Welcome to the night owls.

Interesting study: they put people in time-deprivation (no time signals, not some bizarre sleep-deprivation) cabins, with all their daily needs and materials, then sat back and watched. People basically settled into 23-25 hour cycles. If your cycle was 23hrs, then you start at 8am, tired by 11pm, 8 hrs sleep, up at 7am, tired by 10pm etc. These are the nauseating get-up-and-go type of people, first thing in the morning, but party poopers late at night.

25hr people get up at 8am, tired at 1am, sleep till 9am, get up till 2am, sleep till 10am - the night owls, discussing Freud, Facebook, F... whatever while everyone else has long wilted. Bad news is: guess who hates getting up an hour early every day, getting worse if you indulge your night owl streak.

I work from home, and my cycle is a natural 25hrs, and I will, if I don't call it quits at 3am, cycle round the clock, eventually sleeping through the day - nasty, pschologically. Makes planning a bit entertaining, but there you go.

Basically, if you want to keep the day job (or any 'regular' hour job), it pays to discard the last hour of wakefulness, let yourself chill, and acknowledge that while you could do more, you'd like to feel relaxed and awake in the morning. And since you work, I take it your 18+, so yes, sex and orgasm are a nice way to finish the day, if your partner isn't asleep already (and if they are, well...)

Thank you for your comments, what you have said really helps. I definitely need to concentrate on spending the hour before sleep in a restful way. I'm glad I had the capabilities to write this out and took 'time' to process suggestions, (the time in processing suggestions whilst speaking with someone, can sometimes be lost in the conversation, when talking in person)

Thankyou for the time you have put into your reply.

Pleasure - he says, at 5am (london time) see what I mean?!!!

hmm, I do need my sleep, I hope you managed a restful time after what sounded like a long shift in awakeness! (I guess mine really isn't that bad in comparison, just that I need to get up in the morning, early).

This morning worked quite well, since I spent some of saturday night till the early hours of sunday morning, drinking and out (not a good cause!), then slept on and off during the day on sunday, since I wasn't fit for much else, though did a good bit of DVD watching too. (one DVD watched on and off during sleep, about 3 times!) Alcohol related OCD, well, how well can one really concentrate on a storyline during bouts of watching on and off.

Incidently, today, due to the rest achieved yesterday, I did get up early and made up abit of time for the previous lateness, which I am happy about :-)

So, how to not become completely overwhelmed by alcohol? The body is asking itself to slow down, I think.

Ok so, new ideas! Although I haven't yet made up all of my lateness, I've devised a spreadsheet in Excel, to keep track of times late, times worked overtime, and hours made up for lateness, going to add a reason or 'reasoning' column to help track reason late or working overtime, then at least if I haven't completely resolved relaxing in the evening and going to bed on time, I have at least thought of a way to track progress, positive/negative, to review, may also suggest the spreadsheet is distributed within the department to unsure other people can track there progress too, and helps management to know when and if time is made up.

Great plan, (I think?!)