My urologist has told me that I have a sponge kidney. They have told me that a sponge kidney creates kidney stones and does not do what a normal kidney does. I am always having pain in my groin, urine in the blood and I only urinate about 3 times a day. I am always having episodes where I have to go to the doctor and they give me antibiotics but do I really only have one kidney because the one kidney does not function right? The doctor just treats the symptoms at the time and goes on. It seems to be getting worse and I'm scare I really am going to end up with only 1 kidney. Has anyone heard of anything like this or have any advise? %-)

I also have been told I have Sponge Kidney, from the looks of it, it has affected both of mine. I've had this for over 10 years, and for the most part I am fine. I just had a Kidney infection, bladder infection and a virual infection all at the same time. I've spent the last week and a half in and out of the hospital, and been given some heavy anti-biotice through an IV, I am still on anti-biotics but other than that, there is no need to worry.

I have been told to limit my calcium, caffine, carbination, salt, and Vitiman C as these are the 5 biggest causes of Kidney Stones, which I have been told I need to try and avoid (too late, already have 1).

Bladder infections can also cause stones if left untreated for too long. I have been reassured by Dr.'s other than the dietary limits, and an increase of water intake (double what is normal) all should be fine and well.

I have not had any pain, and it may be unrelated. Hope this helps alleviate some of your anxiety.