I had an accident the other day; I fell from stairs in my house. I am a bit embarrassed about it, I practice martial arts for several years now and I never had any injury during training and now this happened. Anyway, doctor told me the bad news. It seems that I have sprained my ankle. I cannot use it for another couple of weeks or so. After that, I will have to use clutches for a week or two. Why is sprain treatment taking this long?

Injuries like these are very annoying. You do not feel much pain, if any at all, but yet you are unable to walk properly for some time and you have to be extra careful during rehabilitation. Sprain treatment does take long time, because ligaments have to heal properly. If that does not happen, you might never be able to walk as you did before. I had a similar problem with my right ankle, I damaged several ligaments, I did everything doctor told me, but still, my right ankle recovered with approximately 85 - 90% of its former functionality.