I woke up yesterday morning around 3:30am with a pain in the upper middle of my chest or stomach. About where my sternum is. It feels like possibly gas, but I've been burping as well as passing gas but it's not helping at all. I know that when i lay down it goes away alittle. I also have been able to use the restroom so i know it's not constipation. What could have possibly triggered this and how do I get the pain to stop. It feels like there's a knot behind my sternum or someone is pushing my chest in. What could it be and how do i fix it?

it could be acid reflux. does it get worse after eating or drinking things?

well i found out what it was... actually turned out to be Gallstones went in for surgery and the doc said my gallbladder was really diseased. Thats what caused all that pain i was feeling.

i have the same pain as you and im only 20 so i go to the doctor to see what it is....?