Hello All,
I went on Prozac 10 mgs a day starting last January for anxiety. At first I lost about 10 pounds because it completely depleted my appetite I weighed about 133 pounds. In August I went off my birth control pill Yasmin after being on it for 7 years because I couldn't take the side effects anymore. I am 5' 4" usually about 138-144 pounds size 6 very athelic and pettite build. I started to notice that my clothes were getting very tight. I worked out about 3-5 times a week running and weight training and didn't really notice any weight loss which is usually easy for me. I weighed myself at the end of October and weighed about 158 pounds. I was eating really healthy and working out but the weight just keep coming on. I started to feel so depressed that I was going to keep balloning up. I went to my doctor and asked to go off the medication because it was making me feel depressed and anxious because of the weight gain. I went off of it around November 2 and have noticed about a 2 pound weight loss. None of my clothes fit and I feel so disgusting. Im not sure if the weight gain was due to going off birth control or long term use of prozac. Its just so aggravating because the prozac really helps my anxiety. My doctor gave me a sample of lexapro but Im scared to take it because I don't want to gain weight again. Anyone thoughts?

prozac make you gain weight because it ties up the liver function and decrease the fat metabolism . but 2 month after leaving it your

liver function should be back to normal .

Hey all, I was told that Prozac was the least likely to make you gain weight "and that most people lose weight on prozac" - what they don't tell you is: yes - I did lose 5-8 pounds in the very beginning of taking prozac but the weight came back with a vengance and I gained about 20 stubborn pounds. I stopped taking it about 3 months ago and am somewhat finally starting to feel less bloated and fat. Please do your research - clinical trials and the research out says prozac may cause weight loss, but usually only in the beginning. Be your own advocate and research all of the different medication options - it is boring to do the research but it is your body. I started taking Wellbutrin XL and it has so far appeared to be better than prozac because 1: i dont feel like a zombie all day 2: i am able to get things done 3: i am starting to take off the prozac weight 4: i am not numb - i actually still have feelings and laugh and cry whereas prozac left me with no feeling whatsoever! Prozac sucks in my humble opinion (and as always never stop cold turkey, talk to your doctor, and all of that good stuff)!

in the fall of 2009 i started gaining weight and i couldnt figure out what i it was because i eat extremely healthy and work out at the least 3x a week. i am about 5'7 and i had gained around 15 lbs in the last couple of months. i soon came to find out that it was the celexa i had been on for about a year and my sister was having the exact same problem, i was only on 40 mg and once i figured out this was the problem i want off it as soon as possible. the side effects and with drawls were horrible i felt like i was an emotional roller coaster and couldnt get through the day with out having a break down. i had to go on 10 mg of prozac to keep me stable even though i really didnt want to be on another med that might make me gain weight. at first i lost like 2 lbs and i was working out 5x a week and boxing getting plenty of exercise still eating extremely healthy and doing all that i can to loose the weight and nothing. it has been about 2 1/2 months and i am now going off the prozac because it too had started to make me gain weight. if you can at all avoid it do not go on SSRI's they WIll make you gain weight even if you do all you can not to. it is the most frustrating thing!!! and losing the weight you have gained on the med takes a while and sucks!!!!

Ok, I went off prozac in late November, and now I've experienced weight gain, which I cannot seem to be able to resolve, when while on prozac, my weight was wonderful. I was able to stay slim and trim and toned. I took the prozac for panic attacks, as it kept them at bay, and now, here in late March, I have them back again, and not just a little bit. They are like living in a nightmarish horror film each and every day, all day. The weight gain is not an enourmous amount, mind you. It's enough to take me from size 5 or 7 in juniors to a size 9. Well, depending on some things, I may need to go into a size 11. It's enough to bother me, but not quite enough for others to look at me and make a big deal about it. I have the muffin top now and all, and it's not what I want, but I suppose at age 48, like I am, it could be worse. However, I am going back to the psychiatrist today to try and seek some relief from the debilitating panic attacks. It looks as though I'll be back on the prozac starting today. I'm feeling the panic welling up inside me as I write this. Doesn't anyone know why in God's name this has to happen to human beings?

I went on 20mg of Prozac 2 weeks per month for PMDD in September, before I started taking it I had stopped working out and was at a an unusual high weight for me about, 124 lbs, I'm only 5' 1". I noticed within the 1st month of taking it that my weight crept up to 129lbs. I started working out and dieting and now 6 months later I weigh 132 lbs. My doctor said to try doing weight training along w/ the usual 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week that I was doing, that was last month when I went to see her. Still no drop in weight. So I decided to throw away my Prozac. I researched and found St. John's Wort is effective for PMDD, I am taking 600 mg of that with Oil of Evening Primrose, approx 1000 mg and vitamin B6. I will see how that works. I wonder how long it will take for the Prozac weight to drop and my metabolism to be back to normal. Its extremely depressing and frustrating to keep trying to lose weight by exercising daily and eating healthy and low fat and just maintaining a high weight without losing an ounce. Its horrible not being able to fit into your clothes!

I just started Prozac (the generic) yesterday. On the 1st day, I felt so much better. Weight gain is a concern of mine too, but through talking to people I have found out that it depends on the person who is taking the Prozac. Not everyone gains weight. Everyone is different and has a different reaction to the anti depressant. Our body's chemistry is all unique however I am wondering how long it takes before knowing if the Prozac causes your body to gain weight or lose...

I too gained weight from antidepressants. I was on and off several throughout the years, and gained weight from all of them. And a lot of you are right. No matter how hard you work out and diet, it becomes impossible to get the weight off, even after tapering off and not taking the medicine. I'll never take any antidepressants again in my lifetime. I'll try and deal with the anxiety and depression without medicine. As far as I'm concerned, they all suck.

I'm a 50 year old female and have been slim - sometimes underweight - most of my life. I come from a family who are slim. Obesity was something I thought would never happen to me. I went on Prozac about 6-7 years ago, 20mg a day. I have gained an enormous amount of weight. At 5'5", I always weighed around 126 to 132 pounds. The last time I dared weight myself, about 6 weeks ago, I was shocked to see I now weigh 196 pounds - a gain of 70 pounds. The Prozac has stopped the depression, but the side effects are gross : lethargy, bloatedness, arthritis in hip joints and lower back - arthritis is not in my family, so I believe it's the weight gain that has caused it. I dig my allotment, walk the dog and, when I don't run out of breath too fast, I dance. I don't smoke, drink alcohol or eat fatty foods. I do all the right things! On top of all this I hate the way I look. I had a photo session at the weekend and the results are scary - I'm not just big, but look like I've been blown up with an air pump! Remember the Pillsbury Dough Boy? Yes, that's me. :-(

I've had depression since age 14, but have been seeing a wonderful counsellor since December who has helped me break through so much emotional stuff, I feel I am finally on the path to recovery. Just scared of coming off the Prozac in case it all comes back. Does anyone else have tghis fear? is thois what keeps us on the stuff? I can't bear being unhealthy and unwieldy, but neither do I want to be obese for the rest of my life.

And yes, why don't doctors tell people about the risk of weight gain? It seems so common it must surely be known to the medics. %-)

I HAVEbeen on prozac for about two years and have gained about 45 pounds that makes me so depresed to even look in @myself today I am going off prozac I know I couldn't be anymore depresed than I am right now for how ever long it will take me to loose the weight I have gained I will loose it :-( :-(

Hi -

I can totally relate to the weight gain. I've never had a weight gain problem in my life until now. Before if I would start eating bad (fried/junk) food, I would notice that I'm gaining weight... but When I exercised and ate healthy, the weight would come off.. either way it would always fluctuate with 5 lbs... 6 months ago I weighed 115 Lbs.. i started taking Zoloft and gained 12lbs in 5 months.. the weight gain has made me more depressed!! I have to buy new pants every 2 months... I went back to my doctor, who is horrible, she doesn't like to listen or talk to her patients.. she switched me to Prozac, 3 days later, I'm eating like a pig!! I can't think about anything but food.. I just wanna eat every hour... I've been on Prozac for a month now and it doesn't seem to be working anyways.. I'm dizzy and foggy... I feel like I keep rambling on.. I'm going to see a new doctor on Saturday. I've read a lot about Wellbutrin and that it doesn't cause weight gain. Hopefully my doctor will switch me to that and I'm hoping it will work for me.

I have been taking prozac for 5mths and noticed craving for certain food such as choclate and bread and also worsening of anxiety . i have stopped taking this for a few days and noticed an improvement in mood and the craving already stopped. The weight gain of course is due to intake of wrong kind of food but why this antidepressant causes the craving and worsening of mood is another question.

That's unusual, I have taken prozac in the past on and of for months and I always have lost waigh. I found I had no appetite

Well, I am SO GLAD I found this web page. I thought it was just me! I have been on Prozac for 5 months and have gained 18 pounds! This is particularly frustrating since I used to be 230 pounds. Low carb dieting and hour of exercise 5 days a week allowed me to lose 60 pounds. I am 5'6 and the weight loss had me at a size 10. I was aiming 20 more pounds and then Prozac ruined that. I am now back up to a size 14. I have increased my exercise to 2 hours per day!!! I am still gaining! This is nuts!!! I am so depressed about the upward trend that being on Prozac really is serving no purpose. I plan to immediately begin to ween myself off. I can only hope that returning to a low carb diet coupled with 2 hours of exercise per day will shift the weight. We will see. 8-| For the rest of you who are suffering, HANG IN THERE!

Omg... I am sorta releived and extremely frustrated all at the same time.
I have the same problems! Ihave been taking Prozac 40mg for about two
years now and I stopped cold turkey bc i am having abdominal issues. Anyways,
I have gained 25# inthe last 2 months! I have self image problems as it is
and this is the last thing I needed. I am even considering surgery... My stomach
is always bloated and my jaw line is gone! I hve never had weight issues... Anyways
thank y'all for you imput!

Lauren