Hi, in the past year I suffered great tragedies. Three members of my family passed away. It seamed as if this will never end. Just about when we recovered from the death of one, another occurred. Since then my blood pressure was high. I have had some problems with high blood pressure even before the tragedies, but I would like to know if the stress can influence high blood pressure?

Hi, I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your family members. This is the first time I heard something like that happened. When you are stressed, negative consequences occur. One of them is high blood pressure, but it must not always be the case. If a link between stress and high blood pressure has been made, one step for a healthier life has been made. The stressful situations make our body respond by increased production of adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones cause the heart to beat faster and blood vessels to constrict. As a result blood pressure rises. You should talk to your doctor about these issues. The stress you experienced can also have a long term effect on your blood pressure. Therefore, a visit to the doctor is necessary. And maybe you should also talk to a professional therapist who will help you overcome your pain.