What type of treatment is available for a patient with dizziness after a stroke?

**edited by moderator**e-mail addresses prohibited**

Dizziness is common after a stroke. It may resolve but there could be damage to those areas of the brain.

More information is needed to help narrow down an answer.

How long ago was the stroke?
What kind of stroke?
Where was it located?

Any other health problems?

25 months ago I had a stroke (male--63 years old now)

Stroke on Left Side of Brain....affected my walking,use of right arm and hand.....got use of them all after stroke....but my hand is still weak but useable.....I drive now and can walk and eat ALMOST normally with my hand use! I take blood pressure med and aspirin therapy......but I am still dizzy and tired....although not disabled from easy activities. My speech was never affected, but my brain is also slow at times......thought process and doing action things.

Please let me know how to cure this dizzyness!

Thanks, Herm

Herman Kovar Sr wrote:

medic-dan wrote:

How long ago was the stroke?
What kind of stroke?
Where was it located?

Any other health problems?

Thanks, Herm

25 months ago.......right side of brain........no other health problems....just dizzy and tired now!
Thanks, Herm

Hi Herm,

Your symptoms may be related to your blood pressure medications. Talk to your doctor about alternatives.

I had my stroke in March 2012, 5 months ago. Similar to yours. I am able to function, drive, walk. I have peripheral vision problems with my right side as well. I too am having dizziness every day. When I am tired it is worse. I used to love the hot summer sun, but now it makes me so dizzy. It has been 5 months, my dizziness seems worse in last 2 months than before. I am thinking it is a combination of my visual defect and the heat of summer and working more. It definitely is complicating things more for me -- I can't stand being dizzy all the time. Do you have any advice? My doctors don't seem to care.

I Care...and I'm sorry you are having these same problems! My dizziness is with me ALWAYS....no let up. My best position is laying down or sitting. My brain is SLOW and I have trouble multi-tasking also. One thing I've found is there is NO PAIN with this stroke.....and I know it could be worse and I Thank God it's not in my case. I at times have some trouble swallowing also.......food and drink.....and I have gained some use of right side motor skills in hand and arm and leg and foot. Not 100% but I can do things........It Could Be Worse!!!!
Someone told me awhile back to try " B-12 " and that she did and her dizziness went away! I tried it, 1/2 a 1000mg for a week and then a whole 1000mg for a week also and had no change!! But MAYBE ???? it would help you????.....the lady told me she saw a change in about 5 days after taking them.....
I wish the best for us all. It's frustrating I know and we are "Old Before Our Time" it seems now. I wish you WELL my friend!
Herm (_[removed]_) Illinois

Thank you. I have been taking B-Complex, but not regular since my stroke. I am still taking Coumadin and not sure it that will affect the thinness or thickness of my blood. I start back taking it daily. If it affects my bloodwork, then they will make adjustements to my coumadin I'm sure. My primary care doctor is of no use to me, he is not helpful at all and has said that he is not in charge of my storke recovery. So if he he's not, who is? I have HMO and all my doctor's say the same thing. I am only in charge of this part, brain, physical and mental therapy, not overall coordinating your needs of recovery. Noone is coordinating anything!! I am very frustrated with this whole process. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

My stroke -- left side of my brain -- was 1 year ago (Dec. 8, 2011). I am a 58-year old female. The dizziness Really kicked up about 3 monmths ago; this last month has been particularly challenging. But, I have determined that additional rest helps somewhat. Thanks to everyone who has weighed in here, because I ws beginning to think that the dizziness thing was pyscho-related. I am getting back to my "routine" (longer working hours, etc.) ... taking a catnap whenever possible seems to relieve the symptoms for awhile. I'll try the B-complex as well, and try to get a prescription for the Lorazepam. Thanks everyone and blessings to you all!

Hi,my husband had an attack of stroke with paralysis on the left side since 2012,march1.Thank God he regaining mobility but often complains of droziness and feels sleepy the whole day.What could be responsible and how can this stop?