Hi All,
I'm new to this and the stories I've been reading about sub w/d have not been very comforting. I recently had major back surgery, before surgery I was on everything under the sun for almost 2 years (which reminds me-DO NOT EVER LET A DR. PUT YOU ON A FENTANYL PATCH! The scariest, most horrific time of my life!) and after surgery I was on everything plus Oxy!
The time came to stop and I visited a sub Dr. I did screw up therapy once by taking too much, but then I got back on track. I've never been an addict but I'm starting to think I could easily become one.
Anyway, today is the 4th day that I've been off of subo. and I'm miserable. Achy body, crampy legs, insomnia, irritable, the works. A good friend of mine went through the same thing (no surgery though) and said 14 days is the key # to stop feeling like s**t. HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE OVERCOME W/D in LESS than 14 days? And if so, how did you do it? I don't have that kind of time while working AND taking college courses! PLEASE HELP!

14 days might be a bit long. Anyway how did it go and what are u up to now?

I was addicted to methadone for about two years, taking up to 100mg daily. Life was sh*t. I made the decision to get sober, but knowing what I was in for I went and got a SUBOXONE scrip to help me get through it.
Now I know some people say that suboxone "saved their life" and got them off of whatever they were on, but my story is much different. After I stopped the methadone I waited about 3 days days as my doctor had indicated and started taking my suboxone, then went into full blown withdrawl. I sucked it up and took pure hell for about 5 days then I stared to feel better. Finially i thought the med's are working. However after a month of suboxone I still didn't feel like myself. So I started tappering down and after about four weeks i went from 24mg a day to 4mg a day, and that when my problems started. The day I went from 8mg to 4mg it was like I was back in full blown methadone withdrawls, only I accually feel worse!!! All I have to say is f**k Suboxone! It's just another way for Doctors and insurance co. to make money off of people with this kind addiction. SUBOXONE is not the answer to addiction it just makes it slower and more drawn out. I know how hard it is to quit. But if I could do it all over again i just wolud of gone off the methadone cold turkey.

Hi all, I am new here and was just trying to get some info about suboxone withdrawal. I was hooked on vicodin for three years, than went into rehab and my Dr. gave me the suboxone. I went from 16mg a day to 8mg a day. I have been on this for 2 years and am terrified of trying to get off of it. I have tried tapering and swear to myself that I will get thru the withdrawals, but after trying this 2 times, I ended up back in the office begging for more subs. My Dr actually told me that I could stay on suboxone for the rest of my life! I couldn't believe he would tell me such a thing, and I now am very suspcious of these pharmaceutical companies that are making money off of people like me. My rehab nurse told me that I could go into the hospital and get off of it that way, so I would be comfortable. I wonder if anyone has gone thru sub withdrawal in a hospital setting and what it is like?

I was on sub for two years. Lowered dose gradually at my own pace down to .5 mg a day for the last month. If you slowly taper you won't have withdrawals until you jump. And yes even at half a mg you will withdraw as with any opiate but the symptoms are tolerable just last a bit longer. Nine days for me - one week of vacation from work. The key for me was to have plenty amdiom , adviol, benedrly and Valium. Also take as many vitamins and eat. Force food and water down if you have too. Min three hot soaks per day. I made it. Was scared bc of everything I've read. I can be done ! Much better then getting off oxy cold turkey. Good luck

im been on subs for allmost a week now.and its makeing me feel like my old sel again,i used to just sit on the couch and watch t.v.all day and all night. i only went out when i neede to pick up a script or groceries.now im on the siboxone and feel great, i actually cleaned the house today and went out to eat with my mother.anyway i was addicted to methadone also,for 2yrs i was on 120mg.when i got my takehomes oh sh*t all you know.anyway ive been addicted to pain meds for 10yrs ive been to numerous rehsbs classes aa na. nothing works.now im 33 and if this medicine keeps helping me i will stay on it for life.cause i know my addiction will never go away.and i dont want to go back to the drug life.i think it's hell on earth. look im just being real.

I was addicted to oxycotin for a few years morphine and then heroin. It was when i got hooked to heroin is that i realized i needed to get help. So like many of my friends i went and saw a doctor and was prescribed suboxone. The doctor actually prescribed me to take 3 8mg pills a day. I did this as directed by the doctor. I will admit at first it does help with withdrawal symptoms, but on that high of a dose I also found myself vomiting randomly throughout the day and constantly feeling dizzy and nausea. I realized I was on too high of a dose of the subs so like a true junkie I went out and bought some oxy's (enough for a weekend). Then I waited to withdrawal from the oxy's and only took 2mgs of sub and only took it when I started to feel like sh*t. I found myself taking a 2mgs (a quarter of one pill the doctor had given me) and I was feeling good and sleeping good. I stopped seeing my doctor because he told me i had to be on the subs for a years and of course he did not accept my insurance. So i wanted to get off its not that i had too. I had been taking 2mgs a day for over a month, i figured getting off with not be a problem and I would feel fine. The first three days I actually did feel fine, then it started with diarrhea and not being able to sleep. I found myself waking up at 5 or 6 in the morning and not being able to fall back asleep. Smoking pot was the only thing that calmed my stomach. I had horrible anxiety. This was all in the morning and then once I went to work and kept my mind and body busy I actually felt fine and did not even smoke or anything at work. Yet I am on day 10 off the subs completely and still feel like sh*t every morning and can not sleep if my life depended on it. I am just wondering if I will ever get a normal sleep schedule again? because the one thing subs did do was make me sleep normal.

I am on day 14 and still can't sleep and feel like hell. How long did it take for you to be able to sleep and feel normal?

Hi yall-I was on suboxone for 4.5 years. I was detoxing from being on methadone for 8 yrs. I went to detox in a hospital setting they gave me subutex (which is pretty much suboxone). Anyway it kept me comfortable for 6 days. After that all hell broke loose. I was in withdrawls from the suboxone for 36 days. Ive been thru methadone withdrawls and they were soooo much worse then the sub withdrawls, but it still sucked!!!! Ive been clean now for 7 months and most days I feel like my old self before I started using, but some days I feel a little off. The doc has said it can take up to a year to get yourself back. I think its worth it if you can get thru the withdrawls. I was in rehab (a treatment center) during my 36 days, I think thats the only way I made it. Good luck I sincerely hope its not too rough>

I AM ON DAY 15 AND CANNOT SLEEP AT ALL. FEEL TERRIBLE IN THE AM, NO MOTIVATION

Hi everyone. I am really worried about what is going to happen in the next few weeks. I developed an addiction to oc's and pain killers a while ago after a really bad motorcycle accident that I died in. Anyways, I knew a few people that were in sub treatment so I kicked the pain pills on my own by buying subs on the street and taking a strict dose of 12-14mgs a day. I dont have insurance or the money to go to a sub doctor. I had the money once but every doctor I called wasnt excepting new patients. Anyways, I have quit subs a few times without tapering off them and only made it 5 days. I decided to quit again yesterday and I know what I am going to be facing for the next few weeks. The thing is that I have read so many stories on here but I only found one person who is like me and they were not taking 12-14mgs a day and then just stopped. Does anybody know of anyone who has been able to quit these things by just stopping while taking a dose like this? I dont have any other options I would do anything to go to a doctor and use the treatment the way it is intendend. I want this so bad but I have put it off for so long because my girlfriend or family has no idea that I even take these. Also I live with my gf the last time I tried to quit these I just decided to quit smoking as well so that I had a reason for going through the withdrawals. I really am going to be so siiiiiiiickkkkk soon and I know this I hope I make it. If anybody even knows one person who was able to do this without tappering and just cold-turkey please let me know.

Ohh and does anything really help with this? Some people have said that these may help chocolate, ibprofen, aleve, Immodium, does anyonoe know if this is true

Thanks so much,

Hello....I've been reading the Suboxone related posts here with personal interest and empathy. I completely understand the VERY difficult, frustrating, scary, and PAINFUL situation that many of us find ourselves in when stopping Buprenorphine (aka: Suboxone/Subutex) withdrawal. Simply put, it leaves so many of us feeling like sh*t, and for varying lengths of time.

My story>

13-15 yrs. old Codeine cough syrup when available
15-30 yrs. old Occasional Codeine use when available in any form
30-43 yrs. old Codeine, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, and others...Finally Methadone (3.5 yrs. of Methadone @ 110 mgs. day)
43-44+ and until 42 days ago...... Suboxone

For those of us who are suffering bad enough, and are seeking some answers, inspiration, hope, or calming words to hold on to, signing on the internet and scouring a search for a forum of some sort to help us get through what seems like endless sleepless nights, and days of aches, pains, headaches, fatigue, depression, anxiety, etc. I'm here to say I've just recently been thru it all.....and the initial days after jumping off at 1mg. of naseau, vomiting, SH*TT*NG myself, and joint and muscle aches that made a grown man cry.

Thankfully, and not soon enough....the Acute withdrawal symptoms all mentioned above have ceased!!!! It took 3 weeks or so starting about 72 hours after the last dose of Sub. Now it's time to deal with what I have researched and know...(for me that is)...the second phase (PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome....from Opoids). It absolutley doesn't seem to matter that Suboxone is classified as a "partial agonist"......as opposed to a "full agonist". It also doesn't seem to matter that my use of other opoids/opiates was sporadic and relatively minimal during the last (2) months of my Suboxone treatment. I was and am still at times in full throttle misery.

What has helped:

Talking every day to a non-judgemental, close, and supportive friend.
Once I could get food down>eating regularly...at least twice a day.
Drinking LOTS of Fluids....starting with Ginger Ale and water, then juice of any kind cut with water for extra hydration.
Taking my "other" meds for Medical and Mental Health (anti-depressant, Beta-Blocker, and a small <2 mg. dose of Klonopin)
Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen as needed for headaches and body aches. In the first three weeks, Immodium for the diarrhea.
Stopped drinking anything with caffeine
Much smoking of Cigs and Pot in the beginning followed by a taper OFF of both
Prayer
Crying
Stretching
Doing something to Distract myself from my body's feelings and mind's negative thoughts.
Listening to music
Watching TV or Movies
Restarting unfinished projects around the house
Telling myself these feelings won't last forever
Laying in bed or on the couch with eyes closed and resting....even if No sleep comes....for 7-8 hrs. a night
Knowing that I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GO THRU THIS SH*T AGAIN>>>>>EVER

I SINCERELY hope my history with this addiction is at the beginning of its end. For Good!!! And for anyone else who does....Peace and daily success, dealing with and overcoming what life feels like now!!!

I come here and read the posts every now and then. I have been on subs for a couple years now. Started at 16 mgs a day and now i take 8 mgs a day. It works for me. Insurance covers the meds but not the doctor visits. So it costs me about 120 dollars a month for everything. I remember spending that much a day on Oxys or Vics at the beginning.

I think it would help if more people actually knew how bad it was to try to quit. How bad you feel during it. Most doctors or family members or loved ones know at all. I know people that think withdrawal is hard cause you want the high. Its got nothing to do with that. Most of us addicts dont even get high anymore but take drugs to NOT get sick.

Nothing in my life has scared me as much as the thought of withdrawal. Its the absolute worst thing in the world. It can be done, but it takes a good support group, time off of work, and a whole lot of will power.

I dont think that i will ever try to get off the subs. Its been two years now and i dont really see any side effects. Even if i did try i would probably get to day 5 and get some pills, then end up back at the doc anyways.

My prayers are with anyone reading this and trying to quit.

I became addicted to Tylenol#3s while recuperating from my second major surgery in two years. In the end I was taking 200mg. of morphine/day. This finally alarmed me and I gradually weaned myself down to around 80mg./day. By this time I had been using for 7 yrs. but never intravenously. I know, small potatoes to some of us addicts. I found a Sub Dr. and decided to try the "rapid" method.= 5days @8mg....5 days@6mg. ..6days@4and 8 days@2mg. This is day 10 of withdrawal. My days are getting better but as soon as it gets dark in the evening that creepy crawling feeling starts and I'm virtually unable to sleep. Does anyone have an answer to this maddening insomnia? I feel it's the only thing that might drive me back to using.

Hot showers/baths even if its at 3 am with tylenol pm and a little pot can help to. ive been told xanax helps too