For everyone out there considering jumping off from Suboxone, please read this. I have read at least 100 different forums, enough to be scared positively sh*tless. So here is the truth.... If you really want off ALL the opiates, you can kick it. Is it a breeze? Hell, no. But it is entirely doable. A little bit of my history so you know where I came from. I started taking recreational Percocet or Vicodin once in a while, just for the buzz. My boyfriend always had something, so it was easy for me to get. I swallowed them whole. Eventually, as is the case for all addicts, I began taking opiates every day. Vicodin and Percocet no longer filled the need, so I moved up in the world, to OxyContin, roxy's, methadone, dilaudid, opana, etc. you name it, I would take it. For about four years, I needed something every day just to be able to function. Then one day, all the pill sources dried up. My guy brought home some heroin. Scared to death to try it, but sick as hell, I finally caved, as per my usual method- swallowing the cap. Anyone who's ever tried to "eat" H knows it doesn't do much for you.... Eventually, after a few weeks of still feeling shitty, I caved and snorted it. I had no idea what I had been missing! No wonder my guy didn't care if we ever saw an Oxy again! Of course, he was banging it, so.... Anyhow, over the next year and a half, my H love affair got bigger and bigger until we were sharing an eight ball -uncut- a day. That's 3.5 grams! As much as $500 a day! Obviously, unless we were billionaires (we are not), this couldn't last.... We tried Suboxone twice before it stuck, always going back to the H. Finally, on May 11, 2011, I went to see my own Suboxone doctor, and I have never looked back. Not one slip. But after over a year on subs, and at a dose way too high for a 90# girlie like myself (16-20 mg/day!!), I decided I was done. I'd lost 7 years of my precious life and I wanted to not just be functional, but SOBER. I tried to wean myself down, but I wasn't very good at it. In the end, I jumped at 4mg/ day. The script ran out, and I simply didn't go back to the doctor. I prepared for the absolute worst. The first three days, I didn't experience any major physical withdrawals- I'm sure I had enough suboxone still in me to keep me afloat. I did, however, have that empty feeling you get when you know theres no more. So I looked up all my contacts to try to score a sub or two off the street. Someone must have been looking out for me, because NO ONE had any. By day four, the restless leg syndrome really started in, along with sweating, chills, insomnia, and these emotional episodes where I began to wonder if I was bipolar- one minute I'd be sobbing and the next my thoughts were racing. Days 4-7 were the worst physically and emotionally. I'm grateful I didn't have major GI issues, but I also had zero appetite. I'm too skinny as is, and I lost 6# the first week! I was down to 84#- pretty skinny for 5'3". By the second week, the restless legs and the sweating began to abate. I still experienced anxiety, fatigue, minor GI issues (some nausea and diarrhea) and inability to sleep, but those were also becoming less severe. By day 14, my biggest complaint was my lack of energy. I'm now at day 46. It takes 21 days to make a habit. For the first time in 8 years, I almost feel normal! That's not to say that I'm "fixed." I'm still an addict, always will be. But I've made it past the hard part. I still daydream about "one last high", but I know I have the resolve to not get high. It's nothing like trying to stop heroin cold turkey. No creepy crawlies, no puking and dry heaving for hours. I'm able to sleep again. Exercise is key. So is eating properly, even when you're not hungry. The biggest thing, however, is to have a support system. My family has been understanding, patient, and very very helpful. If you can't go to your family, find SOMEONE you can talk to. By the way, my boyfriend is also clean- also 40+ days. He somehow had an easier withdrawal cycle than me. Go figure! And he was the one literally crawling the walls and crying every time we ran out of H. So for every bad forum you go to, remember this: it CAN be done. Everyone is different and experiences different withdrawal symptoms. But it is NOT nearly as severe as kicking H or oxys.

Well SOB i was wondering how long i was going to keep feeling like S--t its now  day 22 that ive been completely free of putting that money making film suboxone under my tounge. if its going to take another 22 days or longer so be it. at least i know im not losing my mind and others are feeling the same as i am. Thats about it what more can  be said. Good Luck to all because the alternative isn't good.

hlcrum316 how are you doing now?

Glad to hear you stuck with it, been there done it over and over. I am convinced that it is the hardest thig I have ever done and hope to GOD i never have to do it again.......

Best wishes to you and all others like US!!!!

goldielocs wrote:

hlcrum316 wrote:

hlcrum316 how are you doing now?

Thanks for posting this I jumped off the subs cold turkey I was on two 8 mg strips a day n stopped just another drug controlling me sick of being numb it's week three for me still can't stop going to the bathroom and my left arm kills me have no idea why some mornings my spine aches but I figured it was just w/d my biggest complaint is lack of energy only thing my dr says is go back on them and taper wtf

My last day of taking sub was 8/16/12. It took awhile to start to feel better but after two weeks with very little sleep ( a 5 day period with no sleep at all ) I was prescribed trazodone and that really helped start to sleep. I don't think I'm back to 100% yet but much better than even a month ago. Also if your a veteran and need someplace to detox try contacting the VA. I'm a disabled vet and it was a VA doctor that finally helped me to sleep. They told me I should have gone to them from day one and they could have helped from the beginning. The VA has come a long way with substance abuse help. Ok good luck like to anyone going thru it just hang in there and you will eventually start to feel better. Please don't give up.

Excellent. I was on and off sub for about five years doing other dope between times. Finally I wound up in a strict rehab where they took me straight off the sub. I could barely move. Had to force myself to shower because I didn't have the strength to towel off. This went on non-stop for nearly thirty days, when I told the doc if he didn't put me back on I would sue because my heart was going to blow out. Pure invention, but he put me back on. Stayed on it but then started shooting coke. I'm clean now, but I've had a long struggle with a ton of substances.

But there is nothing you can't kick if you finally decide to kick for real.

I know exactly what u mean! I know it's been a few months since ur 1st post but when I checked google 4 suboxone withdrawals I nearly burst out crying! I was a heavy heroin smoker 4 near enough 10yrs :( had 2 leave college after near enough finishing my 3rd year! I always held down a job/jobs Well until I started hitting up! I was on that evil methadone from about the age of 20 2 try & stabilise me! I am now 30 Bad mistake 10yr of that stuff gets into ur bones & ruins ur teeth! Anyway after finding out 5yrs ago I was pregnant! I stop hitting up,smoking white(crack) & stuck 2 my script of 120ml I felt so guilty & nasty 2 have a baby on that amount of s@#t After I had my baby girl I moved bk closer 2 my family & cut myself down 2 20ml (in 3yrs) then pregnant again I had my son & wanted off the methadone so when my son was 3mth old My family took my daughter & I done a cold turkey from it while staying at a friends with my son I did great even though it was 1 of the hardest times of my life! Was doing amazing 4 5mth then my sons father offered my a bag & I stupid as it was smoked it :( I was using again 4 a month when I told my drug worker who told me about suboxone I thought it was a miricle drug! I could take care of my kids with more energy than usual Then I looked at coming off it after a year & with all the forums & discussions it really scared me!! I thought every1 has a different body & way of thinking! I'm day 4 off my subs (came right off at 4mg) I'm scared now reading that the withdrawals can worsen after a week :0 As I have the 2 kids! I have zimovane for getting a sleep at night & Lofexidine if I need it for during the day! Not sure if u get that in the US I wake up feeling crappy plus get the hot & cold chills alday but my kids must be make me go on And I find music helps so much if u need 2 get up & go! Also I know I shouldn't but redbull has been helping me! Just remember we are all different! It's going 2 be hard but we will get through it & just think how much better life will be! Well that's what I'm doing coz we only get 1life & after spending 13 years taking some sort of opiate I'm done with it!!! Hope every1 else is doing great! And Soz about the long reply! X x
P.s. I'm meant 2 be starting blockers (naltrexone nxt week which is also scaring me coz of the horror stories I've seen on the net :/

I am on suboxone one thing I have learned dont do drugs I have been on them for 6 years and I have mood swings like the president has plans. I have also learned being on them for a long time killed my septores and made my sex life go down hill. I am still on them and I will be on them for a long time I went 5 days without them and my girlfriend could not wait till I got my meds. I went crazy and I am not willing to go through the withdraws again for a while. I know a way to get off them in canada there is a shot one shot takes away everything cant remeber the name of it but look it up on the computer. I think it cost around 1000 dollars for the shot.

I hope this might help someone out there.

I've been trying to get and stay clean for years, got sober the first time at 17 and was never able to get more than 3 months clean. I got pregnant in 2010 at 21 while strung out on heroin. I only knew of methadone at the time and refused to take it. Finally heard about subutex and that it was a safer alternative while pregnant than methadone...so began my journey. It was a miracle drug for me. I was able to deliver my son on 16 mg of subutex in june of 2011 (thank god he was born 8lbs 2 oz right on time) he had mild withdrawals the 1st 3 days.  2 weeks later dropped down to 8mg and switched to suboxone. I didn't dare get off of subs yet being a new mom with only 6months clean. I started tapering down and by the following July of 2012 got off. I was on subs for almost a year and a half, the withdrawals I had seemed to last for months. I've kicked heroin before with just the help of valium and the suboxone kick while not as intense lasted way longer I almost would have prefered kicking heroin. The first 2 days weren't too bad, but by day 5 I was ready to commit myself to a psych ward. Everyone detox's differently but in my experience the suboxone kick was the worst days 5-12. I managed to get through without a relapse or caving in and getting a new script for subs. By 30 days off  suboxone I felt physically back to normal, it took a while for my head to clear and found out I needed the help of an anti depressant. I made it to 27 months off heroin, booze and any mind or mood altering substance and 7 months of suboxone when I started getting really bad anxiety and decided I needed the help of benzos aka xanax. That lasted a few days. ***Once an addict always an addict.*** I abused the xanax and the beast woke up, 2 days later it was back to the dealer. I threw away everything I'd worked so hard for trying to take the easier softer way. I was slamming dope again, but I was only out for 3 weeks. I checked myself into a detox/rehab. They put me back on suboxone, I took it for 19 days starting at 8 mgs and weened down to 1 mg. I have 23 days off heroin today and 4 days off of suboxone. From my previous suboxone withdrawal I'm expecting the worst, I'm incredibly uncomfortable, irritable, anxious, and having cravings. But it's always darkest before the dawn. I know I'll get through this, and hopefully that'll be the last time I need to go "try one last time". I have a great support system, family, friends, N.A., and a beautiful little boy. I know it never gets better out there and it sure as hell never gets easier. Your going to kick at some point rather sooner than later. I'm not a Dr. or an educator on suboxone. This is just my experience. I have 23 days clean and sober today, and I will push through this one day at a time. Good luck to all you out there! Hang tough.

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom. God bless you and keep you. I am now down from 16mg per day to 2g a day. I am scared. even at 2mg day feel depressed. My bones are HURTING so bad, Any suggestion?

congrats on your successful detox with suboxone. This needs to get out so people are not afraid to use suboxone or to detox from it. The main issue is adrenal fatigue. If you can negate that, you will alleviate 60% of the withdrawal. Methadone saved my life but also addicted me to it for over 10 years and I went back and forth between methadone, heroin and suboxone for 6 years. That is no fun ride for sure! 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Great progress for you! I too have been on Suboxone, for 6 years! Yes, believe it for it is absolutely true. I had a huge fear of the impending withdrawal should I stop, which I always wanted too. The past two years I had tapered to about 1mg of a strip per day, but still had that fear. Finally 7 days ago, I used my last 1mg. As you say the first days are tolerable, but after that I am dealing with the restless legs, anxiety, sneezing, chills, sleepless nights and absolutely no energy to do anything. BUT-I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.I believe I will only get better and in no time will be back to my old self. I'll never get back those years, but can only look forward to those ahead of me. I am convinced the medical profession are prescribing way more suboxone than is actually needed and luckily for me, discovered that little tidbit of info on my own. I felt no difference from 8mg or 4mg's. Very little is known about the long term effects of using this "medicine", and I believe 6 years of use qualifies as long term. I can only hope and pray the damage to my body can recover. By the way, I am 60 years old. Good Luck to all.

What is the blocker. I wish there was something you could take like a shot once a month or something. I have a habit of taking pills