Hi, I have been on the Atkins diet for two weeks. I started the low-carb diet because a friend of mine achieved great result with it. My results are also great. I lost five pounds. What I'm wondering is if this kind of weight loss is healthy? Will the Atkins diet have a negative affect on my organism and is the weight loss permanent?

Hi, the Atkins diet is a revolutionary way to lose weight. This is a low carbohydrate diet. It says that you will not only lose weight but also get a better heart condition. Overweight people eat a lot of carbohydrates. Our body burns carbohydrates and fat for energy but the carbohydrates burn first and the fat remains. This is how we put on pounds. If we eat less carbs and more fat and protein, the body will lose weight in a natural way by burning stored fat. This is a general definition of the Atkins diet. However, scientists have proven that it is not healthy. Carbs are very important for brain. By reducing those in your eating you will affect your mental health. I suggest you visit a nutritionist who will determine the best and the healthiest, way for you to lose weight.