Hi, my twelve years old son has just been diagnosed with pneumonia. He had bronchitis for a long time and now his condition has worsened. He is currently receiving Ceftriaxone and Sulbactam therapy. Is this really going to help him? I mean, how strong is this Ceftriaxone and Sulbactam combination? The doctors say he is going to get better, but I am not certain they know what they are doing.

Hi, I am very sorry to hear about your son. Ceftriaxone is an antibiotic often used in the treatment of pneumonia. And the combination with Sulbactam is a good choice. Sulbactam is a drug from the group of drugs called inhibitors of beta lactamase. Beta lactamase is an enzyme produced by the bacteria. It helps them to fight against antibiotics. That is why it is very common for the antibiotics to be combined with these beta lactamase inhibitors for the best results. This way the bacteria are disabled to fight against antibiotics so they can do their job. I can understand your skepticism about your sons therapy. It is not very common with todays medicine for the bronchitis to develop into pneumonia, but it can happen. All you can do now is to have faith in your sons doctors. As I said, Ceftriaxone and Sulbactam are a good combination and they are very effective against the bacteria that cause pneumonia.