Hi. I’ve recently been camping with my friends and had minor leg injury. But, later, it turned out that injury was not actually minor – considering the after effects – I developed inflammation. I went to doctor and he diagnosed me with superficial thrombophlebitis. I know that I’m not a doc but that that doesn’t sound to me as something that is related with one minor injury… Can anybody explain me what that is, what really causes it and what are the most common symptoms??? Is it possible that I had it even before injury and that was the reason for doc to connect these two things? Thanks

Superficial thrombophlebitis (also known as ST or SVT) is a condition in which inflammation causes a blood clot to form in a vein near the surface of the body, like leg, in your case. It often develops in varicose veins (enlarged veins close to the surface). As ST occurs when irritation of a vein causes blood flow to slow down or stop it is most commonly caused by a bruise or an injury if some kind. It can also occur after intense exercise! There are several symptoms, and the most common are tender cordlike vein that is very sensitive to pressure, redness and warmth in the area around the vein and swelling in the area around the vein. I believe this answers your question – as you can see, your doctor indeed knows something :-) Take care.

I recently diagnosed with same problem I have been given antibiotics I feel quite scared about it Im not sure when this will get better I haven't got any varicose veins so Im not sure why this hass happened hope that you have recovered