I believe I have symptoms of varicose veins. They look little swollen and I have pain in my legs. Can you tell me what common signs of varicose veins are? How they area treated? Can it be treated with meds or surgery is need? I am 48 years old, female.

Some common symptoms of varicose veins include pain and heaviness sensation in legs; also legs get easily tired and swell. In severe case there are darkening of the skin (in severe cases), numbness, Itching or irritated rash. You need to se a doctor and he will beside a physical exam, take x-rays or ultrasound pictures of the vein to find the cause of the problem.

Symptoms of varicose veins may vary from person to person and are often worse at the end of the day. Leg heaviness, pain, fatigue, and swollen limbs are the most common symptoms associated with varicose veins. An itchy rash (varicose eczema), leg restless, swelling of ankles, lumps and blue or purple coloring under your skin, cramping, and ulcers are other less common symptoms. It should be pointed out that large varicose veins don't always cause more discomfort than smaller varicose veins and some people may not have any symptoms.

As to varicose vein treatment, you do not need surgery because the management of varicose veins and venous disease have changed tremendously in recent years and the scalpel has been replaced by new minimally invasive technologies. Tailored to your needs, and after Ultrasound Duplex imaging of your legs, your vein doctor, may recommend one of the several non-surgical procedures for the ablation of your veins. Medium sized veins are usually treated with foam sclerotherapy, which includes the injection of a potent medicine in the form of foam directly into the diseased veins. The largest of the veins; on the other hand, are usually treated with either the VNUS closure procedure or Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT). These are Ultrasound guided procedures where the diseased veins are damaged and burnt by a radiofrequency generating catheter or a laser fiber inserted and directed inside the veins. The procedures are very effective, safe, and require no downtime

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed