Just curious if anyone out there has had any positive experience from Morton's neuroma surgery...everything I see and read is just horrible. I had the nerve and neuroma removed just over a week ago and just wanted to know what the long term revoery will be.

I have had consant pain from foot surgery mortons neoroma times two.
I gain relief by the use of lydocain prescribed by my foot doc. Lydocain relieve for some time. worth a try. still have "lump" feeling under foot all the time. %-) :-|

I had a morton's neuroma removed from my right foot 11 years ago and have had no trouble from it since. My 3rd toe remains numb and I have scar tissue which is lumpy but it is nothing compared to the pain I had before surgery. Due to that successful surgery (and after 3 dehydrated alcohol injections) 3 weeks ago I had the same procedure done on my left foot. Being 10 years older the recovery has been harder on my body but I am hopeful that I will have the same success as my right foot.

My question is this: My Dr has told me to stay off of my foot to prevent scar tissue however it seems that most people I read about are mobile again after 3 weeks. Any advice anyone???

I got it about 7-8 days ago. It happens only when I go to sleep. One night, I felt my bed shaking, and thought it was an earthquake-well, the bed shook sort of slowly, so I didn't really care. Days later, just at night, that bed shaking began to annoy me, and I couldn't sleep. I didn't think that there was more than 5 earthquakes everyday, every night. One day in the morning, I tried to get my pack on my belly, and when I kinds like-you know-when I used strength on my belly, it shook like crazy-I couldn't control it.
I don't know if it is bad for me.
I'd very appreciate for any reply-Thank you

Oh My, I thought the lump under the ball of my foot was just me?? I had surgery 5+ years ago and still have that lump. Not so sure I would have had the surgery had I know I'd have this much discomfort the rest of my life...

Thanks for posting. Glad it just isn't me...

Debbie

Yes...I have traveled a long and painful journey. I've been poked and prodded and given all sorts of pills. But, I always come back to the structural issues around my feet. Neuroma surgery on both feet. Right foot between 2 and 3...and left foot between 3 and 4. I still have more pain as the day progresses....I still feel like I'm walking on a marble. Tonight, I took my sock off and under the light in the kitchen, I showed my wife the bottom of my right foot.This is also the one that became infected and required a second surgery with packing material left in the incision for three days. There is definite swelling between the second and third toes of my surgically operated on foot. I don't understand why I would have this swelling, if the nerve was removed. Also, I had an osteotemy of my big toe several years ago to relieve a painful joint from years of running. The pain is gone, but the shortened toe also pushes agains my second toe, and with the release of that ligament, my third toe is also pushed to the right. Could any of these dynamics have any bearing on the swelling on the bottom of my foot. I am going to be so upset about taking Neurontin and Lyrica for PN pain, when, and I do feel...I ice the bottom of the foot and take ibuprofen the burning and aching is diminished. I just don't understand why the swelling.

I came on this forum about 1 hour before I was to go for surgery 6/8/07, for morton's neuroma. The pain began 10 years ago, I couldn't wear high heels, no big deal because I never did. Then 5 years ago I couldn't walk barefoot or wear any shoe other than a sneaker or workboots (steel toe yet). One year ago I finally went to the foot doctor. He said I had lost the pad under my 4th toe (the big toe being the first). He also said I had neuroma. He gave me shots of cordizone, physical therapy and he glued a pad onto the bottom of the ball of my foot. That is when the intense pain began. I could no longer walk for more than 10 minutes or drive for more than 15 minutes. No more sneakers were tolerated at all, only my 3 year old work boots allowed me to walk for 10 minutes or drive for 15 minutes before burning, stabbing, shooting, clicking, numbing pain came on and lasted for the rest of the day. I could no longer visit my Dad 15 miles away. Things had to change. As an inspector, I was on my feet 9 hours a day and could no longer do my job no matter how many times I removed my shoe and rubbed my foot.

I went to another foot doctor and he said it's time for surgery. He said the pad under my toe was fine. The physical therapy was a mistake. Surgery went well. As I woke up after the surgery I saw and heard my doc and the guy who put out me out say, "now that was a big neuroma".

5 days after the surgery (yesterday) I went for my post op. The Doc said everything looked good, real good. He said the thing most Doctors fear is going in and seeing a small neuroma, he said when they see one as big as mine was they know the surgery will take. Mine was 10mm. I started walking on my foot 6 days after surgery with my walking shoe (I threw away my crutches). At this point I am very happy I had the surgery, I am in day 6 and had more pain before the surgery than I had after it. Like my doctor said everyones pain tolerance is different. After 5 bouts with a-septic mennigitis (sic), my tolerance of pain must be through the roof.

All I know is that 6 days post surgery, I am very glad I had it. But I am also glad my neuroma was as the doctor said, "very large", it made a big difference as to whether surgey would work for me. The problem is the doctor doesn't know until they go in.

By the way, this forum scared the h*ll out of me when I first read it.

Since I last posted my foot has taken a turn for the worse. Burning pain on the entire top of my foot that goes throughout my ankle and up my shin. I can't walk on it any more without making the fire worse. I am waiting for the doctor to tell me if this is normal. If it was to be expected I wish he had told me and given me something to help the pain. What I have does nothing for the burning pain. I get the stitches out in a couple of days. Does anyone know if this terrible burning is part of the surgery?

"Since I last posted my foot has taken a turn for the worse. Burning pain on the entire top of my foot that goes throughout my ankle and up my shin"

My wife had her surgery 7 days ago all seems fine until the night before last and then again last night she wakes up screaming, in severe pain on the side of her foot and the top closer to her ankle this sound like what you have experienced her doc say it's normal " and that maybe she was to active" what does your doc say?

I had the MN surgery done on my R foot about 20 years ago......with amazing results. I had been stuggling along over the years with persistent pain in my left foot, and finally decided this year that I would have the same procedure performed on my L foot. It was done in Jan., following cortisone shots etc. I am almost 1 year after surgery, and completely disappointed with the results. I have been a "speed walker" for many years - which I enjoy - and have been unable to do this with the constant pain. I have tried various shoes, massage, had exrays, bone scans etc. etc., and my surgeon just told me this week that the only options are to go back in and do more surgery or he would help me seek another opinion. As I said I am very disappointed, and had I read some on these entries prior to do this, I would not have gone through with it. I was so certain from the very good experience of my R foot, that is would be a beneficial thing to do to elevated alot of pain and discomfort. I truly believe that drs. need to take a closer look at this type of procedure - as there are no benefits to trading one discomfort or another, and in some cases a worse discomfort. I am at a loss as to what I should do.....any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I had MN surgery on 1/29/08 after trying custom orthotics, cortisone shots, accupuncture and lots of Advil for nearly a year. I started with a podiatrist who initially diagnosed the problem. I ended up going to an orthopaedic surgeon as I was not comfortable having this procedure done in an office rather than in a hospital (day surgery). The rehab however is very painful but very necessary.

My incision was on top and I would not even consider having this done through the bottom. You would trade one pain for another. I was off my feet and using crutches for about 10 days. I used the boot for another week after that. I used a lot of ice to keep the swelling down. I started wiggling my toes as much as the bandages would allow as soon as possible.

As soon as the big bandage came off, I had to start rubbing my foot on the bottom. This was really painful as my foot was horribly bruised. Once the stitches came out, I had to do this on top as well. You need to do this for about 5 minutes four to five times a day. I'm a little over 5 weeks from the surgery and my Dr. said to keep rubbing especially on top. This is to de-sensitize the nerve and prevent a stump neuroma.

My massage therapist also suggested using a golf ball or tennis ball and rolling your foot around on that. This one is good for when you are on the phone or watching TV.

I'm walking normally and slowly starting to wear more of my shoes. I still wear the orthotics in my regular shoes and in my golf shoes. I have not tried anything with a heal yet, I plan to wait a few more weeks for that. I think I will continue with the orthotics especially in my golf shoes. I have a golf trip planned for next week so it should be a good test for my foot.

My foot feels a little better every day and I am glad I did it.

I have been suffering from neuroma pain for years now. I've tried almost everything. Today I am going for a steroid inj. If that doesn't work, I will consider surgery. How is your pain today? I noticed it's been awhile since your last post.

My foot feels great. I just got back from a golf trip and walked every other hole on a very hilly golf course and it felt great. I still have to massage it several times a day and I notice a little tingling when I first walk on my foot in the morning. The Dr. said this is normal and will eventually go away but to keep up the rubbing on the top and bottom.

I'm able to wear more shoes and even tried some low heels! I'm 7 weeks out from the surgery and I am so glad I had it done!

I just had surgery on my MN, after not being able to walk by the end of most day's for 2 years now, on 12-16-08. I went through the inserts in the shoe, cortisone shots and all that good mess. I think it is the Dr.'s that you go to that makes all the difference. I went to the Podiatrist and after 4 months of using this and that he recommended the surgery. Then I asked my Family Dr what his thoughts about it were and he sent me to an Orthopediac Surgeon. He recommended not having any Dr operate on anyone unless the are a Surgeon because of all the extra schooling the go through. Makes Sense. The 1st Ortho I saw was spot on with his recommendation, after trying some different things to releave the pain, of the surgery that the podiatrist recomended but I had a lot of questions about it and he didn't have all the answers. He said he had done the surgeries before but after I was talking to him he didn't make me feel reassured that I was doing the right thing. He made me feel like he didn't care about me and I was to take what he told me as gospil. So, after asking all my questions he sent me to an Orthopediac Surgeon that specializes in the Foot and Ankle and what a difference. She made me feel so comfortable and answered all my questions and explained everthing in detail. If you have the surgery find a Foot and Ankle specialist not a Podiatrist or regular Orthopediac surgeon ( no offence, I liked my Podiatrist very much, but). I have no pain unless I put pressure on it but that is to be expected. I had the surgery throught the top of my foot and my surgeon will not let me take the dressing off for 2 weeks due to the risk of infection. I can go back to work on Monday but light duty only. I sleep through the nights with no pain pills and wake up in no pain. I due have pain as a hobble around the house and put pressure on the front of my foot but as long as I put the weight on the heal of my foot I am fine. I will keep updating my progress as time goes on.

I too had a Morton's Neuroma excised a week ago (19th) and so far so good. Not too much pain and I was able to put a little weight on the affected foot today. I have a very small dressing on it now and have seen the stitches...all looks healthy if a little bruised and swollen. I'm due to have the stitches out next Monday 30th March. I have spoken to a friend who also had it done. They were back on both feet in flat shoes in 3 weeks and back running in 10 weeks. I'm hopeful for a pseedy recovery as I'm healthy and fit and I'm being careful with it....following all instructions to elevate and take anti-inflamatories. It's not all doom and gloom, I think. Will keep you posted! :-)