My father had problem with localized pain in the third interspace between the third and fourth toes. It was dull pain that he was complaining about. Also it gets worse when he wears shoes and walk. I guess his pain was less severe when the foot was not bearing weight. He visited the doctor, who told him it is Morton’s neuroma, so we want to hear more about it.

The Morton’s neuroma is the most common cause of localized pain in third interspace. These diagnostic tests produce good indications of the condition. Doctor commonly palpates the area to elicit pain, squeezing the toes from the side. Next, he can try to feel neuroma by pressing a thumb into the third interspace. Morton’s neuroma is actually enlarged nerve that usually occurs in the third interspace. The reason of problems in this area is that part of the lateral plantar nerve combines with the part of medial plantar nerve here. When those two nerves combine, they are typically larger in diameter then those going to the other toes. Above the nerve is structure that is called the deep transverse metatarsal ligament. This ligament is very strong, holds metatarsal bones together, and creates the ceiling of nerve compartment. Ground pushes up on the enlarged nerve with each step and the deep transverse metatarsal ligament pushes it down. These cause compression in confined space and Morton’s neuroma.

%-) i have been playing basketball for a long time and ive never had any problems with my feet untill this yr. ive had two stress fractures and now the dr says i might have a neuroma. i thought it was another stress fracture becuase i had some of the same painful feelings but this time it hurts when i go up on my toes..does anyone know how long a neuromas takes to heal completely if you dont get the surgrey done. im just getting customized inserts.