In a few days I'm having the nerve removed that has caused the Morton's Neuroma - incision at bottom of foot this time. I have done all the non-surgical treatments for this problem already & continue to do so. Nine years ago I had surgery but did not have the nerve removed at that time. I've been hearing horror stories that this nerve removal surgery may cause 24/7 pain for the rest of my life due to phantom type pain & painful plantar scarring (even when not using the foot) - this was told to me during a pre-op visit with the DR who's knocking me out during the surgery & of course I'm researching a lot on the "net" now. The pain I have lived with for "like forever", well, I've grown accustomed to it & I can still manage to be realitively active but the pain is always there when I use my feet. Just to think I may have more pain 24/7 (whether I use the foot or not) has me scared to death! Can anyone share their experience with me about their surgery and hind-sight on their decision to have the surgery in the first place?? Please - I'm very tempted to not have any further surgery and just live with the pain I already have.

hey, did you have your surgery? how is your recovery going? i just had 2 neuromas removed on the 11th

I had surgery to both feet 3 years ago. I should have lived with and treated the pain by other means. I have had consistent pain in both feet ever since the surgery. I have been to a pain clinic and other doctors to try to solve the constant pain without success.

If at all possible avoid surgery to remove the neuroma.

The pain I am having now is due to nerve problems that developed after surgery.

I had neuroma surgery on both feet 6 months ago and I am in constant pain. If I overdo it, or if I drink some alcohol, my feet fire up and hurt all the time. I have to take neurontin just to keep the feet with the numbness that one would have without these nerves.

I did have the surgery on Oct.12th; starting yesterday a very sharp pain (like stepping on a nail) started directly under big toe going back towards my arch when I put weight on the foot and try to walk normal. What the heck is this???? This isn't even near the incision area! Has anyone had this after surgery?

I had the same pain that you're describing when I had my surgery on my left foot 3 years ago. My foot is perfectly fine now. I was so happy with the results that I had my right foot done yesterday. Hopefully, this recovery will be a smooth as the last.

To MMiller: thanks for letting me know you experienced the same sharp pain after neuroma surgery. Hopefully it will evidentually subside - how long did it take for this particular pain to go away for you? Did you ever figure out or get told what was causing it? I'm really curious as to what it is. I don't go back to my doctor til 11/20. Other than this sharp pain, my foot is coming along quite well ... getting use to the numbness slowly. Been applying Vitamin E oil to the incision site and that seems to be helping the healing a lot. Finally out of the post op shoe(s)! I do have nueromas in the other foot but unless I change my mind, I think I'll just continue to live with it and not have surgery on that foot ... this sharp pain is awful - hate to have the same thing happen in the other foot. I hope your recovery from your recent surgery has the same outcome as the first.

I had the surgery for morton's neuroma and have since had a great many problems. The incision on the underside of my foot causes me ongoing pain and because it presses into my foot everytime I stand on it - it has aggravated the nerve underneath and I basically exchanged one form of pain for another. My understanding is that a preferable method these days is to go in through the top of the foot rather than the underside.

It is always best to try orthotics first - made by a qualified podiatrist. Although I had the surgery, the neuroma has since come back, which I have been told is not unusual.

It's been just about two months since my neuroma surgery (from the bottom of my foot). YUP - exchanged one pain for another - actually two. Now that the "pinching nerve pain" is gone (which is very good), I now have 2 "live wires" at each end of the incision site - YEKS! Removing the neuroma meant cutting the nerve, leaving 2 ends of the nerve activated! OMG! Not the same pain as having the neuroma pinch, but oh so "electrifying"!! Back at doing virtually everything active but I now must learn to adapt to the nerve sensitivity caused by the surgery. I'll learn to live with it, I guess. Nope, I do not advise having the surgery - it wasn't worth the "time down" recuperating & the "live action" I now have. Ya live and learn!

I had a morton's neuroma removed via top of the foot 4 months ago. I was doing fairly well but wore a pair of shoes that aggravated it and then I was back to square one with pain, worse than the original, in my toes and very tender spot on the ball of my foot where the excision had been done from the inside. I have lost most of the fat on the pad of my foot, probably from the 15 years of cortisone injections while trying to put off surgery, and from the surgery itself. My conclusion is that I am worse off than before I had the surgery...at least then I had several pairs of shoes I could wear to walk 4 miles, now I can only wear one pair of shoes and manage only a mile very carefully. I'm now afraid I am going to have to live with this pain for the rest of my life, as I'm certainly not up for further surgery! Has anyone out there had a good recovery after a long bout of postop pain? I've had 14 surgeries throughout my life and this one is my most disappointing!

From what I've read about recovering from post-op pain, etc. after Morton's Neuroma surgery and now from my own experience, it appears more people than not would have rather lived with the original pain than what they got in return after the surgery. "They" say there is about 30% chance that the surgery will not be successful - I don't know about that percentage unless only the people who are in that 30% bracket bother to write in. It does make sense though - if the surgery was successful, why waste your time raving about its success in blog boards rather than being out there and doing all the things you haven't been able to do for years because of the Morton's Neuroma.

It appears you've had lots and lots of treatment (surgeries and shots) ... too many in my book - where has all this treatment taken you ... sounds like nowhere. Speaking for myself, I'm done with anymore treatment. I learned to lived with the Neuroma - and should have just lived with it to the end - but no, I had to go and make a bigger mess of things by having the surgery. I will NOT have my foot operated on or have shots in it EVER AGAIN! I'll learn to live with the two ELECTRIFYING WIRES that are now activated from the surgery, somehow. This is MUCH WORSE than the neuroma pinch, for sure! But I'll manage to readjust. Maybe it's time you let it go, adapt and move on. Believe me, simplier said than done, I'm sure. But I am speaking from actual experience. I don't like this discomfort either but gosh enough is enough - at least for me. Good Luck with everything.

Hello, I am scheduled for surgery on Jan 26, 007 for my neuroma. I had an MRI and it showed a tumor 8mm long by 2mm wide between my third and fourth toe. The doctor in which i am seeing tried all options first, NSAIDS, shots, pads in my shoes, etc. nothing worked. He will not do the surgery through the bottom of the foot due to possible scar tissue which would remain painful. He removes the nerve all the way back to where the muscle begins in the top of your foot. He said that research showed if the nerve is removed to the muscle, the muscle produces a protein that helps prevent the nerve trying to regrow. He also explained that there is no gray area with the surgery. Either you love it or hate it. He said 90% love it the other 10% hate it. He told me that I would no longer be able to feel the area around my toes, part of the top of my foot and possibly part of the bottom. He also explained there is a 10% chance of having a stump neuroma (caused by the nerve trying to regrow) which can be removed at a later time and a condition called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome (RSD) this is where the foot sends pain information to the brain and the brain never sends a healing reception to the foot, therefore sending a message to the foot that it hurts all the time. He said less than 1% of the people who have the surgery through the top of the foot experience this. The only treatment for RSD is shots in the spine and constant pain medication. That is my biggest fear. But I work for a bank and have to wear dress shoes. If I don't have this done, it will keep getting bigger and I can't hardly walk as it is right now. I hope the information I have mentioned above helps someone. Talk to your doctor about other options for the surgery, i think the top of the foot will be best for me.

You have done your homework on all this for sure -and so has your doctor! My doctor told me, before the surgery, that no one goes from the top of the foot anymore - uh, he's obviously old school. Gosh, good luck with your surgery. I haven't been able to wear dress shoes for over 15 years - I thought after this surgery I would be able to - that's what the doctor told me - wrong in my case. You did a great job in explaining the brain signals and all - and it all makes sense. I have an apointment with my doctor in the beginnning of Jan 2007 because the TWO LIVES WIRES, from cutting out the neuroma, even bother me when I'm swimming - just by moving the foot in the water - so you can imagine what it feels like when I'm walking. But from what you wrote, it doesn't sound like there is much that can be done about it - except remove the nerve back to the muscel as you explained. Hey, enough of me - GOOD LUCK - I'm sure you will have a successful recovery and be pain free and those darn shoes won't be such a bother anymore. Keep me posted on this blog - I'm anxious to hear how it turns-out for you. Sounds like you have the RIGHT DOCTOR!!!!

I had neuroma surgery two weeks ago.
I'm having rather severe phantom pain in the toe adjacent to the baby toe. It feels like a hot iron was touched to my toe. I'm assuming this will eventually go away.

I had surgery on my right foot a year ago to releive a mortons nueroma when the doctor cut my foot open it was so large that he had to remove it not just relieve it this included removing the whole nerve too. about 3 months ago I started having the same sensations just modified because I dont have the nerve. DR says it grew back out of the scare tissue....Never the less it hurts and is uncomfortable to walk or try any sort of exersise. Ive had special shoes also orthotics made ($575) to no avail.....Ive had cortizone shots (OUCH!) Iam getting ready to have another surgery.... so far the only good thing about having the surgery is that they dont have to put you completely under to do it....Iam starting to get worried after reading all the post that say it didnt work......I let you all know if this surgery works...... 8-|