Hi. I’ve recently had trouble with collarbone. I know this might sound funny, but I think it is swollen. I mean, I feel severe pain, swelling and tenderness along my collarbone, and pain eve increases when I try to move my arm or shoulder. Is there anything I can do about it??? Thanks.

One thing is sure – you need some medical help. If your collarbone has separated widely at the site of the break the doctor will carefully maneuver the ends of your fractured clavicle back into their normal. So, once the ends of your fractured collarbone are realigned, you will probably need to wear a bandage around your shoulders to keep the broken bone in place. Later on, you’ll begin a program of physical therapy to restore the normal strength because you’ll probably lose much of your muscle in meantime. On the other hand, if the collarbone has not separated widely, the manipulation may not be necessary, and only the bandage and exercises might be enough.

My right collarbone, at the point where it reaches the middle of my neck and out about halfway to my shoulder is swollen and tender. I've had an MRI and the condition was diagnosed as arthritis. No treatment was recommended. Everytime I travel (I travel a lot for business), this area becomes especially tender. My fear is that my mother had metastatic breast cancer but the "areas of activity" on her bone scan were diagnosed as arthritis. I've always wondered if these areas were actually metastases. Should I seek a second opinion? And if it is just arthritis, is there anything I can do to lessen the discomfort? Thank you....[/list]

My mother noticed all of a sudden that she had a lump on her right collarbone. I felt it and I'd swear it felt like some type of bone growth it, was so hard. Only a little tenderness accompanied it. No movement difficulties. Then two hours later it was gone just like that. Can anyone tell me if possibly tooth infection could cause this type of problem. She has had alot of pain with her teeth and gums.

Thanks for any input.

I too have been experiencing pain and swelling in the collarbone area. For me, it seems to accompany some intestinal pain I've been having. I was massaging the swollen area and suddenly found a hard lump. I was rubbing it and suddenly it slid away towards my throat and the swelling soon went away. Two weeks later, the swelling andache has returned but no lump yet. What IS THIS?!

I have just gotten home from the ER with a similar problem. I was diagnosed with some inflamation in my chest wall. I was prescribed a combination on pain medecine, anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxers. I asked the doctor many questions regarding my lymphnodes(My father died of lymphoma). All test results were negative for any kind of abnorlities of my lymphnodes. However, she did mention that a small infection, even acne, could cause lymphnodes in the neck to swell. So I would assume a dental infection could cause a similar problem?

I have seen 3 different doctors for this issue. All had 3 different diagnoses. First was a build-up of fluid. Second was muscle spasms due to stress, thus causing my collarbone to poke out. Third was this instance I wrote about. My third diagnosis was the most helpful, and the exam was much more thorough. I was cared for as a person, not an insurance claim, or a pharmacuetical guinea pig. Sometimes you need to be persistent for a doctor to figure out mysterious symptoms.

I hope someone can benefit from this information. For I have been scouring forums looking for some questions to present to my doctor for the follow-up appointment this week. If it wasn't for what I read in these forums, I don't think I would have gotten this checked out again(NOTE: I had visited the ER 2 times in the past 3 weeks, with worsening symptons.)

I put on a sports bra today to work out. It had a racerback and was tight on my shoulders. Before I could work out, I developed a sore lump on my left side collarbone, about midway between my shoulder and neck. I can move it but it hurts. I put ice on it thinking it was related to the sports bra. After reading these posts, I am realize that I am experiencing some of the same symptoms. I've had aches, a low fever, sore throat on and off for a few weeks. I thought it was weather related. Help, what's going on?!

If your collarbone ... and I mean the BONE itself is enlarged then you may have an infection in your bone. My girlfriend was first diagnosed with an infection when she was 13. The doctors cut out a piece of her bone to do tests but could not figure out what it was so they just guessed and gave her some antibiotics. She says it seemed to have helped. 

She is 26 now and had a flare up about a year ago. Her right side collarbone is about 3 times as big as it should be. She started experiencing a lot of pain even when inactive.

After going to a few different doctors and a bone specialist and dealing with basically clueless people for months, the doctors finally decided to cut out another piece and run more tests. Which came up with nothing. Meaning they could not find a bacteria, there for they decided it must not be an infection and this time they didn't give her any antibiotics. Instead they told her she has a very rare disease called "Condensing Osteitis of the Clavical" which they could do nothing about. They told her she would probably need pain meds for the rest of her life. She has Kaiser Permanente if it makes a difference to anyone.

Basically the doctors are totally inept and gave up.

Things it could be:

Bone Infection - Can be caused by stepping on a tack, or more likely a small bone fracture
Swollen lymph nodes - If your BONE is fine but there is swelling and pain around the clavica
Condensing Osteitis of the Clavical - Your screwed. Go eat some pills.

My son that summer had an enlarged right calvical bone after numerous tests x rays MRI scans a bonebiopsy was carried out in dec.surgeon said it could be a bone infection or something a lot worse! The biopsy showed nothing which wasgreat. The pain and swelling had gone for a few months but now it has all started again pain and hard swollen lump an other MRI showed like fluid so at present he is just finishing a 6 week course of strong  antibotics even though there was no bateria found in biopsy.has his MRI on Tuesday again. In pain constantly and hadblood tests for everything,they do not know what it is! It is very worrying,

my sister's collar bone began to get swollen through last week. it appears to be swollen towards the middle on both sides, its soft enough that you can push it back in. She complains that it hurts her and I am terribly worried that it coul be something big. 

Hi, nearly 18 months ago I injured by left shoulder.  The injury occurred when I simply had to jerk and click into place a double buggy!  I carried on working as a childminder, and took pain killers to help ease the pain.  Eventually I went to my doctor who was more concerned about a lump at the base of my neck.  My own mother and sister have this also and I told the doctor.  He insisted that I went and have it x-rayed.  Obviously found nothing.  The months went by and I was now using ice, heat, heat pads, creams, anti-imflammatory tablets, you name I tried it.  Enough was enough went back and saw another doctor, this time she wanted me to see a physiotherapist.  I ended up seeing 2!  Finally 17 months after the initial injury I now see a consultant.  Oh and my collarbone is very sore and inflamed (last 6 months).  Had MRI scan showed nothing buy a little inflamed.  Sorry!! of course I don't want anything to show up bad, but I know how much pain I have, there must be something wrong.  He gave me an injection in the shoulder last week and yes it as taken about 70% of the pain away, still not 100% flexability though!  Went to see him the other day and now he wants to ultrasound the collarbone area and inject there also.  Unfortunately the MRI scan did not show all of the collarbone area.  So we shall see.....

Hi this subject is of great interest to me as I am recently seeing the same thing. I thought I was crazy because I have other medical conditions. At 40 I had my thyroid removed and battled many problems that stem from that. Weight Gain, Joint pain, vision problems and now I have developed diabetes. So Frustrated after almost 10 years I put my foot down and got myself healthy. I was a gymnast, model and actor for a long time so unfortunately my physical appearance was a huge problem when I put on over 100 pounds. Never having a weight problem before this was devastating, but I decided at 50 now that it did not matter how or why I put the weight on, I had to get it off. I have grandchildren and I want to be here for them. I watched my diet, ate Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner by 3. Started walking and built up to 3 miles a day and made sure I stayed away from soft drinks, limited my carb intake and finished dinner by 6:30. Amazingly I lost 85 pounds from Valentines Day to August, and still on metformin, thyroid, and blood pressure meds. but I am hopeful that I will be able to come off that soon as I have kept the weight off now for a year. Now thinking that I am so healthy I am finding the same aggravation. I noticed in the mirror of my car one day that the right side of my collar bone where it meets in the meddle at the base of my throat is huge. It was the size of a golf ball compared to the left. I ignored it because later that day it was not swollen anymore. A few weeks later a friend noticed it. Thank God... it isn't me I thought. But it has become more increasingly swollen. I am a side sleeper and I noticed in the mornings when I get up my collar bone is incredibly sore as if I have slept with my body folded in half. Once up after a while the soreness would go away. But it is more frequently happening and other ailments have popped up. At this moment I am swollen on the right side again and my elbow is killing me and I am getting periodical pinching kind of cramps at the top of my stomach near my sternum. In my elbow itt almost feels like it is in the ligaments or just into the joint of my elbow, but not sure about the other. I wonder if it could just be arthritis of some sort? I have not seen a doctor about it... I guess it is time to plan a visit. Getting old SUCKS!!!

Thoracic outlet syndrome: nerves of the brachial plexus pass between the collarbone and first rib and can be compressed or damaged by falls or yanks of the arm. This nerve bundle continues down the arm past the elbow to the wrist and can be affected at these places, as well.

Thank You! the information was very helpful and I found two sites to read more about Thoracic outlet syndrone, the mayo clinic and ortho assoc org. Again, thank you!

My daughter has the same problem. Did you manage to get it sorted and what was it?