I choked on a piece of chicken about a half an hour ago. I Coughed it all up but I feel like theres a lump in my throat. Even the slightest sip of water won't go down now and I have to cough it back up.

Is this something that will heal on its own or is it something that I need to seek medical attention for. I'm afraid to go to sleep tonight in fear of choking on saliva.

It feels like it could be mucus or something.

Any ideas/help?

Hi! At a guess what you're describing is called globus hystericus. Basically this is where someone thinks that there is something stuck in their throat, or a lump in their throat, especially after something has happened - a bit like your choking experience. The reason it's called what it is, is because often there is a psychological aspect to the feeling although some people believe that there is a physiological aspect to the sensation. It occurs really commonly in people who suffer anxiety symptoms, but does tend to disappear with relaxation techniques and acceptance. You may benefit from asking for some help in terms of relaxation techniques of psychotherapy. Hope that helps.

I don't know if there's any point in answering this anymore because you have probably found the answer to your question by now. But just in case you still need the answer here's my answer. I hate that feeling! I drank a lot last night and now I'm hungover, I just puked and now it feels like there's a piece of it stuck in my throat - which makes me want to puke all over again, yuck!!! - and everytime I swallow it hurts. I think it's because the stomach acid more or less burns your throat and especially when you're dry heaving or forcing it out. And so every time you swallow (or burp, acid reflux is not my friend) you can feel the sore part of your throat rubbing on your tongue. Don't worry, there's nothing stuck in your throat and I think/hope it goes away by the next day. I took Sterisol and it helped.