ive had my tongue pierced for at least 3yrs. ive not had any problems with it before now at the moment i have a 10ml bar in becos the length is just right ive had that length in for over a year now but 4 days ago my tongue has started to hurt and i noticed a lump started to form on one side but in the inside of the tongue if u touch it its firm i started to swill my mouth out with salt water to kill any germs twice a day but i woke up this morning and its killing me and has swelled up so u carnt see the bar is it infected? how do i make the swelling to go down to take the bar out and stop this pain cos i carnt bare the pain and it hard to eat foods aswell

Hi there, with the lump, I think it is a good idea to see a doctor and make sure it's not a more serious problem. Do not remove the piercing as if it is infected, you can end up making the wound harder to heal okay? Let me know what you think.

I myself had a tongue piercing for 3 years and had no problem at all. Then like yourself I just woke up one day and it suddenly hurt. I just went on with my day and by that night I was in bad pain. I ended up in the hospital where they removed the piercing straight away as it had cause a infection in the saliva gland which spread to the glands even under my arms. Then as they do i got a lecture on how bad tongue peircings are. If the problem presist after treatment then maybe its best to remove it Permanently to avoid any other infections.