I got my tonsils removed on March 14th. I'm a 28 year old female and I must say.... the general consensus was right! It SUCKS!

The first week was excruciating. My doctor was mean and prescribed me T3s; which I stressed didn't work well for me, but was assured I would be off the pain meds after a few days - YEAH RIGHT! The nurse even made me feel bad for mentioning it, and made me feel like I was some sort of junky. UGH! When they called me to check up on my pain level, I told her I had to take two T3s every 3 hours and she was shocked, but told me to take one t3 and add an extra strength tylenol. Tylenol makes me dizzy so it was a rough time, I kept losing track of when I last took medications during the night and am sure I took pills too close to each other at times.

My uvula was the size of the tip of my index finger.

I am now off pain medication completely now, with most of the scabs gone except for the main areas where the tonsils were. I have a question; when I look at pictures of other's scabs, they were localized to the main areas where the tonsils were located. With me, however, I had scabs covering the circumference of my throat - even my uvula was scabby and even bled. Is that normal?? I kind of think my doctor was mean and didn't take a lot of care when he was cauterizing....

My pain basically increased steadily over the 6 days post surgery and then subsided after the scabs started to come off. I bled a small amount on day two and seven, but both times were easily stopped with ice water.

I am not saying I regret having this surgery, and the trade off of a week of super pain is worth it to not have constant pain in my tonsils, but I can't say it was pleasant.

Now, all I have to wait for is the pain in the muscles in my jaw and throat to stop being pulled and my new scar tissue to soften up and I should be able to get back to eating - I've lost 13 lbs so far!