Hi. My son was diagnosed with an acute decompensated heart failur and now has a slightly elevated creatinine. I have read some study and it says that this elevated creatinine is linked to higher mortality in children with acute decompensated heart failure. I`m really worried and afraid for him. Does anybody know more about that study?

Hi. I`ve read some study, not sure if that is the one. Anyway, kids with an ADHF are at high risk for developing acute renal failure. Even mild renal insufficiency, diagnosed by standard serum creatinine measurement, increases the mortality risk and other unfavorable outcomes in children. According to that study, ARF is an independent risk factor for mechanical circulatory assistance, cardiac transplant, and death in children with ADHF. So, slightly elevated creatinine seems to be linked to a higher mortality in kids with ADHF.

Hi there,
Well you can imagine the creatinine as a waste. It is actually a chemical waste that is generated from the muscle metabolism. And as you can see having high levels of this is not very good for your body. Your son is old and this can increase the danger that he already have with the heart condition but you have to know that the creatinine levels van be lowered. Has his doctor told you anything about the treatment methods? Does your son has any problems with this kidneys? I know that kidney problem can also cause the elevation of the cretinine in the blood. I hope this helped you in any way.

Best wishes,
Marco