Hi everyone,

I like learning about heart issues and heart conditions and it is also very useful for me because I get to work with a lot of people who have heart problems and they all come to the hospital with a lot of questions about their conditions and I don't have an answer to a lot of them.

This lady yesterday asked me what are cardiac enzymes because she is supposed to do a cardiac enzyme study. Supposedly, she said that it could show that she is having a heart attack or that she is threatened by a heart attack? Is this true?

Hi Health n joy,

Cardiac enzyme studies measure the levels of enzymes and proteins that are linked with injury of the heart muscle. These include the enzyme creatine kinase, and the proteins troponin I and troponin T. Low levels of these enzymes and proteins are normally found in your blood, but if your heart muscle is injured, such as from a heart attack, the enzymes and proteins leak out of the damaged heart muscle cells and their levels in the bloodstream rise.

Because some of these enzymes and proteins are also found in other body tissues, their levels in blood may rise if those other tissues are damaged as well.

Hello Health n joy,

Cardiac enzyme studies are usually done to determine whether you are having a heart attack or are threatened by a heart attack. They are also used to determine if you have symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, nausea, sweating, and abnormal electrocardiography results.

There is no preparation needed for this test but there are medicines that could change the results of this test so it is advised that before this test takes place, the person that is supposed to take this test tells his or her doctor about the medicines that she is using so that this test would be accurate.

Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your responses, Bee and Stradivarius. I didn't think that this lady was right when it comes to what these studies are done for but I guess that I was wrong. It wasn't really nice of me to doubt that she knew what she was talking about, was it?

Anyway, now that I started this topic, would you mind telling me more about this? How is this done for example, I have no clue how does the procedure look like or how does it feel. You could tell me as well about the risks of the procedure.

Hi friends. I hope that you are doing fine.

Cardiac enzyme studies measure the levels of the enzymes and proteins. They are linked with the injury of the heart muscle. These usually include the enzyme creatine kineas and the proteins troponin I and troponin T.

When you have low levels of these enzymes and proteins, that is normal and that is usually found in your blood. But if your heart muscle is injured (if you had heart attack), the enzyme and proteins leak out of damaged heart muscle cells.

Some of those enzymes and proteins are also found in your other body tissues and their levels in the blood may rise when those other tissues are damaged.  

Good day there.

Cardiac enzyme test is really helpful if someone experiencing or had heart attack. If you have some symptoms like chest pain, cardiac enzymes, etc, this test should be done as well.

When you do this test it is great because this test can measure blood levels of the enzyme creatine phosphokinase and one very specific form of this enzyme called CK – MB.  

Cardiac enzyme test can be used to check blood levels of the proteins, and when heart muscle is damaged these substances are released from the heart muscle cells into the bloodstream.

I believe that they show possibility of heart attack etc.

Good day there.

I am glad that someone finally decided to start this topic. I know that a lot of people doesn’t have a clue what cardiac enzymes are and what they actually show.

Cardiac enzymes are proteins that are released into the blood by dying heart muscles. I can see that you wrote a lot about troponin levels, but we need to be aware that they are considered the preferred lab test to use to help to diagnose a heart attack. Actually, cardiac enzymes are the indicators of the cardiac muscle injury.

That is what they show.