Hi, I am 30 years old and I am pregnant for 2 months now. I must admit that I never felt like this before in my life and I am really trying to do everything not to disturb the pregnancy in any way. This means that I am supposed to drink a lot of milk, but I just cannot stand it. May I take chocolate milk; is it a good milk replacement while you are pregnant?

If you can, you should really take regular milk. But, if you can’t, chocolate milk is a good substitution, especially if you like chocolate! Of course, you should think about the other food too, you need to take a lot of vitamins and minerals, to eat healthy in general and to avoid all those snacks, fat from junk food etc.

Hello zorana, 

There is no reason why chocolate milk would be at least ok as a replacement for milk, but you might want to look into finding healthier brands you can buy. That’s because chocolate milk is processed, with additives, sugars and colors and you don’t want to overdo on these, in general, negative substances on the account of milk alone.

The most important mineral you need from milk is calcium which is vital for bone building. If you don’t drink enough milk, or get calcium from other sources, for example, calcium supplement, you are risking that your own bones become less dense. This also means a far bigger risk from osteoporosis. So, chocolate milk will give you calcium, but also consider taking a prenatal supplement.