I am a very worried mother. My son is 14 and I have noticed that he stopped eating. He thinks that he needs a diet. He ate normally…at least I think…but you know teenagers, they all think that they are fat. I know that this is a very sensitive period for him and I wouldn’t be so worried if I haven’t heard that it can stunt his growth. Is it possible for teenager to stunt growth with a diet?

Well I remember my daughter in that period. I had the same problem. It was impossible for her to understand that growth is very rapid during teenage years and energy and nutrients are needed to support period of growth spurt. Yes, following very strict dietary regimes can stunt growth, so it’s advisable not to start dieting yet. You should try to explain to him that he will have very serious health problems in the future.
Explain to him to avoid snack foods (high in fat and sugar) like chocolate, crisps, sodas. Instead base your meals on four base main food groups: fruit and vegetables, meat and fish, bread, cereals and potatoes and milk and dairy products.