I am 14 years old going into 9th grade and my Freshman football team lifts 3 days a week for an Hour and a Half. My parents have said that Lifting weight could stunt my growth. This would be a problem considering I'm 5,4 and have always been small for my age but I weigh around 120 because of how much muscle I have. I am also a wrestler and this weightlifting controversy will soon come up again. Does anyone know a reasonable answer to this ever lasting discussion?

Don't quote me on this but I believe so. Maybe you should try simple small weights like maybe 5-10 pounds and not too much

it does not stunt your growth. 

just kidding it does stunt your growth.

Hello. It will not stunt your Growth and I will explain as to why.

People assume that if you were to lift Weights that you would stay small and not grow much because they think it de-compresses the spine and damages Growth Plates. At every end of your long bones (shoulder, elbow, wrist, knees, ankles, back etc.) there is a Growth Plate and if you damage a Growth Plate I would see your Doctor. Many assume that Weight Lifting would fuse them; but look at Press-Ups and Bench Press, Press-Ups is an inverted 2/3 Bench Press with your own bodyweight and that is the same as Handstand Press-Ups.

The only things that stunt your Growth are: anabolic steroids, pro-hormone supplements and lack of nutrition: Steroids are an artificial Growth Hormone and your body is tricked into thinking your Growth is completed therefore closing the Growth Plates. Supplements have the same. Nutrition is needed to get all the vitamins and minerals needed to grow.

Good luck!