Ok so im a 15 year old in grade 9. Im thinking about running around the lake (about 5k) every day.. or atleast go for like 4-5. I wanna try waking up around 6.30 AM to do this..to run when its not so hot and not as many people.

What i want to know is if this would be somehow bad for me or if it could possibly stunt my growth?

Also.. i would like to know if doing this could also help me run faster in say 400m and 800m.

And finally, can you give me suggestion on how to wake up easier in the morning. thanks.,

Hi Howard,

Nope.  It won't hurt your growth.

You can overdo it though and hurt your knees, just as with any exercise.  Remember, your body needs to rest too.  Exercise tears muscles and they grow back stronger - but they need time to heal.

Distance and speed running are similar but different.  You'd need to adjust your training.

Try to go to sleep earlier and cut out distractions before bedtime.  Lay off caffeinated drinks.

Most teens don't get enough sleep.

Good luck.

Running 4-5K a day certainly will not stunt your growth and can only be beneficial if you are running in normal conditions.

Doing that will definitely help your 400 and 800 meter times - pretty much anything running will, to put it simply

ok thanks. Ther reason i thought it would stunt my growth is because theres a 15 year old here that runs marathons... and hes not that tall and supposedl ive heard its cuz he ALWAYS runs. But then again hes been running marathons since he was like grade 7.. thanks.

Agree with xs this time.
4 or 5 km. per day give you exelent grounding for your 400 and 800m.
But remember at your age your training should be many sided, mix up your training.

As far as the 15 year old running marathons goes, his PARENTS and the RACE ORGANISERS should be taken out and PUBLICLY FLOGGED.
His body is undergoing growth at this age, ligaments, tendons and bones are developing. If not now, injuries will impact on his later sporting career and if severe enough may impact on his life in general.

thanks.. yeah i will be mixing it up. Some days i will run with my track club.. witch the workout will vary but i dont wanna be doing that everyday during the summer,.
And yeah i beleive that guy qualified for the boston marathon but they wouldnt let him go. His dad home schooled him so thats what his dad wanted him to do. Crazily fast runner in any race above the 400m.

Sad HowarD.
Sounds like Dad is trying to live HIS sporting ambitions through his son.
No doubt he is fast, but that dosen't mean he will continue to be fast or improve as he matures.
Stick with your plan, mix up your training.
You may be "crazily fast" in a couple of years.