Hi everybody!!!

Hi, I am a 13 year old boy and I am 5'4. I play basketball in my school. The problem is that I cannot shoot long distances so my fellow teammates recommended me to "freeweight". Can freeweigts stunt my growth?

I have never heard of such a thing stunting growth. Steroids and other drugs can stunt growth but lifting weights won't do it. I know where I went to highschool the athletes had a workout room with all kinds of weights and stuff and the physEd teacher took all the kids in there throughout the year to workout. If you wanna workout go for it. It is always better to start taking care of yourself at a younger age instead of waiting until you are older. Goodluck on improving your game.

Well,
Many young boys are very concerned with weights and growth problem. The fact is that this will not stunt your growth as long as you don’t lift too much weight. How much freewights do you wish to have? I don’t think that you will get affected by this because you won’t be having them for too long. Try not to focus your growth on weights and just take them off as you feel uncomfortable. Also it is good that you play basketball because this will give you a chance to grow more. I hope that you will find some solution for this problems of your with shooting three pointers. I hope this helped a bit

Good luck,
Karel