I've been reading on thalassemia intermedia. It seems to me that on later stages, as person get older, patient might have bone loss problems. Has this any study been done on older patients? Is there a way to pre-empt this problem, I was thinking in terms of diet and exercise. My nice inherited this condition and I worried about her.

I’ve been reading too and it seems that more than 75% of thalassemia major have or get osteopenia at some point in their lives, but it is because of many factors such as blood transfusions, low physical routine…etc. And for Thalassemia Intermedia I am not sure if one develops bone problems and from a personal experience, I can say you are right, diet and exercise do play an important role. Skipping and running helps a lot I've noticed, Even doing little bit of light weights regularly can dramatically effect the bones in increasing bone density. I'm constantly taking calcium supplements combined with vitamin D. I do not like milk so I am supplementing my diet with cheese.