Hi, I have a problem with my 13 year old son. Ever since he was little he had trouble concentrating and he was hyperactive. I didn’t notice it at first because I thought it was just the way the kids are but later as he got to school there were problems in his studying and concentration in the class. I have decided to ask for medical assistance to try to solve this problem and if possible treat it. The doctor has recommended few medicines, one of them is Dexidrine. I would like to know what kind of a drug is that and what are the possible side effects of use?

Dexidrine is a medication used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and recurrent sleep attack. Its basic ingredient is Dextroamphetamine. By the name itself you can tell that it is some kind of a derivate of amphetamine which is known as a very strong and frequently used drug. It is a stimulative medication that should help your boy feels better. However, since it is an opiate it can cause addiction so it should be taken under the strict supervision of your doctor. It can also cause growth inhibition and anomalies in small children so this should be considered when prescribing such a drug. The other possible side effects are: changes in blood pressure, accelerated heart beat, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, tremor, headache, exacerbation of tics, Tourette's syndrome. For any other information about this medication you should consult your doctor or even get a second opinion. Good luck to you and your little boy.